|FRANKFORT FAMILY SKETCHES, Part 3|
Henry E. MACK, deceased, the father of A. H. MACK, was born in Connecticut
in 1808 and came to this county in 1818, or when ten years of age. In 1845
he married his second wife, whose maiden name was Mary J. DANA. Her father
and grandfather were in the war of 1812.
Ely T. MARSH, the third son of Simeon and Betsey MARSH and grandson of
Phineas HUNTLEY, was born the 9th day of June 1812, in Exeter, Otsego
county, N.Y. He received the common school education of those times, and
several seasons before his majority taught district school winters, and
summers worked on his father's farm. Afterwards for several terms he
attended Bridgewater Academy, then read law with Charles A. MANN, of Utica,
and others. He was admitted to practice November 1st, 1839, and opened an
office in the village of Frankfort, and is now one of the oldest members of
the Herkimer county bar. He early espoused the temperance cause, and is
now often called "its old war horse." He was among the earliest Good
Templars of this State, and has attended every session of the Grand Lodge
except two since the order was reorganized in this State in 1864, and was
its representative to the London session of the international R. W. G.
Lodge in July 1873. He ran for attorney-general on the Prohibition State
Ticket in 1875. He was married September 15th, 1842, to Mary E. DYGERT,
the second daughter of Captain William DYGERT, of Frankfort. She was an
accomplished lady, and a poet of some note. She died October 18th, 1870.
John E. MAYNARD, a native of the town of Litchfield, has lived in Frankfort
fourteen years. He married February 6, 1878, Flora A. BENNETT, of
Frankfort; they have three children, Arthur B., Mabel A., and Ella
Jenette. His place "Valley View Stock Farm," of one hundred acres is as
the name indicates, situated upon a hill which gives a fine view of the
surrounding country. In 1890 Mr. MAYNARD built a very fine barn for dairy
and stock purposes, it being thirty-six by seventy-two feet with twenty
feet posts, and basement finely arranged for thirty cows, with stalls and
box stalls for horses also, it being one of the notable buildings of the
Melville D. MERRY was born in Frankfort, N.Y., in 1840. He was a soldier
in the late war, and was a prisoner at Andersonville about four months;
also during four months at Florence, South Carolina. His grandfather, John
MERRY, was a soldier in the war of 1812.
Thomas McKEON, a native of Ireland, was born in 1843, and came to this
country in 1850. He has been a farmer in Frankfort since 1867.
D. C. MORGAN was born in the town of Frankfort in 1846. He was a farmer
till 1875. He is now engaged in the mercantile business.
Warner MUCKEY, Frankfort, the only son of eight children born to Jasper and
Eve (LINTS) MUCKEY, was born in Frankfort October 22, 1844. March 4, 1862,
he married Emma SLOMAKER of Frankfort, one of three children of Daniel and
Elizabeth (CUMMIUS) SLOMAKER. They have two children living, Millie and
Alonzo. Mr. MUCKEY has been in business in Frankfort during the past nine
years, his present place of business being known as the Imperial Hotel, No.
71 Main Street, a fine building which was erected in 1889 by Wallace CROSBY.
Willard NEWELL was born in Frankfort, N.Y., in 1849. He is a farmer. His
grandfather, ____NEWELL, was a soldier in the war of 1812. The grandfather
of Mrs. NEWELL was also a soldier of 1812.
B. J. OWEN, Frankfort, one of three children of Hugh and Winnie (CHARLES)
OWEN of Frankfort, was born in Newport October 16, 1868. Hugh, the father, was
born in Wales. He came to this country in early life and settled in
Frankfort about 1874. He was a butcher and shipper of cattle for several
years, when he bought the fine farm where his family now lives and
developed it into a fine dairy farm. He died July 27, 1892, and his son,
B. J. OWEN is developing the enterprise. They have a herd of from eighty
to one hundred cows and are engaged in butter-making and supplying several
milk routes. Mr. OWEN employs seven men the year round. The buildings are
extensive and supplied with modern improvements, among which are ten silos
which have an average capacity of 100 tons each, and steam power for
handling the contents.
William H. H. PARKHURST, M.D., was born in Winfield, N.Y., in 1818. He was
educated at Clinton, Oneida County, and he graduated at Fairfield Medical
College in 1840. He is a member of the Herkimer County Medical Society, of
the medical society of the State of New York, and of the United States
medical association. In 1842 he was married to Margaret, daughter of Dr.
Caleb BUDLONG. They have only one son, Frank B., a graduate of the Albany
Law School. Dr. PARKHURST is still in active practice.
PFHALS, Chris. J., Frankfort, was born in Utica, February 15, 1850. He was
a son of Christian and Louisa (HORNUNG) PFHALS, of Utica. He learned the
trade of carpenter when young, working at his trade in Ilion for several
years and at the Remington Agricultural Works two years. He came to
Frankfort in 1881 and worked at his trade and ran livery business until
1885, when he became owner of the bus route to the West Shore and Central
depots, also express delivery and mail carrying, which he still continues.
He married in 1881, Marion M. WATSON, one of six children of Oliver W. and
Lucinda (CASLER) WATSON, both of Frankfort. Robert WATSON, the
grandfather, was a native of Massachusetts, and came to Frankfort in the
winter of 1777.
John B. REESE was born in Oneida County, N.Y., in 1828, and came to
Frankfort in 1837. He has always been a farmer. He was drafted in 1862
and paid his commutation.
Charles M. RICH, Frankfort, was born in the town of Marion, Wayne county,
April 20, 1858, he being one of four children of John S. and Amanda
(CALDWELL) RICH. John S, the father, who has been influential in the
politics in Wayne county, was born in Connecticut. Charles M., after
graduating from the Rochester Business University in 1878, learned the
watchmaking and jeweler trade at South Manchester, Conn. He was for about
two years located with a jeweler at Fort Plain, coming to Frankfort and
establishing himself in business about ten years ago, being one of the
first merchants to locate here after the West Shore railroad shops were
established. He was married January 22, 1885, to Blanche J. WEBSTER, one
of five children of Charles W. and Julia P. WEBSTER of Fort Plain.
Seymour S. RICHARDS, M.D., Frankfort, was born in Newport, Herkimer county,
December 23, 1860; he being one of two children of L. F. and Sarah
(HASKELL) RICHARDS, the other being Frank J. RICHARDS. John RICHARDS, the
grandfather, was born in Wales. He emigrated to New England in early life
and later located in Herkimer county. Seymour S. was married April 25,
1883, to Marianetta SKIFF, daughter of Dr. Perrin A. and Marianetta
(VALENTINE) SKIFF of Frankfort, they both being natives of Schuyler. Dr.
RICHARDS was educated at Richfield Springs and Fort Edward, at University
of Michigan at Ann Arbor one year and graduated at University Medical
College at New York in March 1883, and began the practice of his profession
in Frankfort where he has since remained.
Thomas RICHARDS was born in Wales in 1825. He was a farmer in that country
from 1850 till 1854, when he came to America. He is now a somewhat
extensive farmer and dairyman in the town of Frankfort.
Thomas RICHARDS, Jr., was born in Wales in 1847, and came to this country
with his father in 1854. He is a cheese manufacturer.
Jonathan RUSSEL was born in Dutchess county, N.Y., in 1796. He came to
this county in 1801. At the age of twenty-five, he removed to the farm
which he now owns, and he has since been a farmer and dairyman. In 1821 he
was married to Miss Mary STEWART. She died at the age of seventy-two.
They had eight children---four sons and four daughters---of whom six are
living. Mr. R. has held the office of commissioner of highways during
eight years. He was a militia captain, and was never sued for debt.
Pardon S. RUSSELL, Frankfort, one of eight children of Jonathan and Mary
(STEWART) RUSSELL, was born in Frankfort, February 13, 1830. His
grandfather, Jonathan RUSSELL, was a native of New England, who emigrated
to New York State in early life. His father was born in Scotland and was
kidnapped when young and brought to this country. Pardon S. RUSSELL was
married November 29, 1854, to Cythera INMAN of Frankfort, one of eight
children of Asel and Cyntha (BALDWIN) INMAN. They have six daughters:
Emma (Mrs. W. D. LEWIS), Nellie (Mrs. Jas. MCGUCKIN), Jennie (Mrs. Jas.
HAGNES), Flora and Ethel. Mr. RUSSELL worked the homestead farm during the
lifetime of his father, who died in his ninetieth year, since that time
working his own farm. He was appointed road commissioner in 1892.
J. F. SHELDON was born in Frankfort, N.Y., in 1838. He commenced business
as traveling agent for William GATES, whose daughter he married in 1859.
He became a merchant in 1868, but since 1871 he has been traveling agent
for William Gate's Sons.
A. N. SHERWOOD was born in 1847, in the town of German Flats. He received
his education in the common school till 1858, after which he attended in
Utica, Gloversville, Fort Plain, and finally Yale College, where he
graduated in 1862. He then read law in the city of New York; but the
profession was distasteful to him and he engaged in the service of the D.
G. Shaw Blank Book Company, of New York city. His father was Benjamin
SHERWOOD, who at the age of thirty-eight became a clergyman. His mother
was the daughter of the Hon. Benjamin WOOD, of Haverstraw, Rockland county,
Perrin A. SKIFF, M.D., Frankfort, was born in West Schuyler January 4,
1826, he being one of three children of Hiram and Elizabeth J. (AKINS)
SKIFF. He was married in January 1852, to Marietta VALENTINE of East
Schuyler, daughter of Sidney S. and Anna E. VALENTINE. They have three
children, Anna M. (Mrs. J. F. ROGERS), May E. (Mrs. Alfred BAYLESS), and
Etta C. (Mrs. S. S. RICHARDS). Dr. SKIFF was educated at Clinton Freewill
Institute and at Whitestown; he studied medicine with Drs. BUDLONG &
PARKHURST two years, and one year with Dr. HENDERSON of Whitestown, took
three courses at Albany Medical College, graduating in 1851. He then
settled in Frankfort, where he has since been engaged in the active
practice of his profession. Dr. SKIFF has always been interested in the
welfare of the town, having acted as supervisor three terms, president of
Herkimer Medical Society one term and for the past seven years has been
surgeon of the West Shore Railroad.
E. LaGrange SMITH, Frankfort, one of fourteen children of Henry I. and
Catherine (LA GRANGE) SMITH, was born in Schenectady county, where he lived
until about sixteen years of age. He was educated in the common schools at
Fairfield and at Hungerford Collegiate Institute. For two years he was
connected with the Pittsburgh Daily Post, taught school at Frankfort one
year, and read law with Lewis H. BABCOCK for two years, and with DENISON
and EVERETT for the same length of time. In 1875 he began the practice of
his profession in Frankfort, where he has since remained. He was married
in 1879 to Etta M., a daughter of Col. William BRIDENBECKER, of Frankfort,
she being one of seven children. They have one son, Claude Vernett SMITH.
Charles E. STARING, was born in Frankfort, October 22, 1834, he being one
of eight children of Nicholas and Mary Ann (STERLING) STARING. Nicholas
STARING, the father, was born in Old Stone Church, Fort Hunter, and his
wife, Mary Ann, was born in the town of Schuyler. The grandfather, Adam
STARING, lived in the town of Manheim. Charles E. STARING married, in
October 1861, Mary C., daughter of Abram and Catharine (PHILLIPS) GRANT, of
Frankfort, and they have had three children: DeWitt C., who died in
September 1892; Carmaleita and Mame. Mr. STARING has always lived in
Frankfort. He learned the trade of carpenter and builder in early life,
which he has always followed.
Nicholas STARRING was born in German Flats, N.Y., in 1806. He was a
carpenter till 1836, since which he has been a farmer and dairyman. In
1832 he married Mary STERLING. They had four sons and four daughters; of
whom three daughters and two sons are now living. Charles and DeWitt, sons
of Nicholas, were in the war of the Rebellion and were honorably discharged.
John H. STEPHENS, M. D., was born in Frankfort October 28, 1859, a son of
Stewart and Margaret (TAYLOR) STEPHENS. He was educated at the Whitestown
Seminary, read medicine with Dr. William H. BROWN of Cedarville, N.Y.,
graduated at the Albany Medical College in 1883, and remained with Dr.
William H. BROWN of Cedarville, N.Y., his preceptor, two years, then
practiced by himself in Cedarville two years. He came to West Winfield in
1889, and is still in practice there. He married May I., daughter of
Clayton T. and Sarah (KERSHAW) WHEELOCK. They have one daughter, Edna J.
Thank you for additional information about the Stephens' Family to
Carma Stone, the granddaughter of Dr. Stephens' brother John! Carma's
information brings up an important point to keep in mind when using diverse resources - the distinction between primary source and secondary source research material. Because we
can't erase what appears in a published historical document, we can't directly change the information above. Primary
source evidence is not cited for either the 1879 Beers history or the LDS entry. Both types of citations serve to point
researchers in the direction of verifying from primary source material such as church baptismal or marriage records, which
still may error in transcription. It would seem that the book compilers gathering info back in the 1870s
misheard the pronunciation of Kahler:
Margaret Kahler Stephens was my mother's grandmother. My mother's father was Rozell Stephens, John's brother.
I wish to give you enough evidence to change the spelling of their mother's maiden name on your site.
LDS Site Info
Stewart STEPHENS Sex: M Event(s): Birth: 31 Aug 1822 Frankfort, Herkimer, New York
Parents: Father: Roswell STEPHENS Mother: Sophia CONABLE
Source Information: Film Number: 455013
Margaret A. KAHLER Sex: F Event(s): Birth: 4 Jul 1828 Ireland
Parents: Father: John KAHLER Mother: Catharine DOWNEY
Source Information: Film Number: 1985594
Mary D. Stephens was Mary Delilah Stephens, the sister of John H., Rozell, Myron, and Franklin (Frank) Stephens.
Mary D. STEPHENS Sex: F Event(s): Birth: 6 Jun 1864 Frankfort, Herkimer, New York
Parents: Father: Stewart STEPHENS Mother: Margaret A. KAHLER
Source Information: Film Number: 1985595
I appreciate all of the time that you give to the Frankfort, Herkimer County site. We spent many happy hours at our
grandmother's and great grandmother's home in North Litchfield when we were growing up. Her small farm was on
Moyer Creek , a childhood playground for Mom and her sister, who were 1921 graduates of Frankfort High School.
Sincerely, Carma Stone
John THOMAS was born in South Wales in 1817. He settled in Frankfort,
N.Y., in 1832 and engaged in the manufacture of carriages, with a capital
of thirty-seven cents. His net profits he first year amounted to five
hundred dollars. He continued in this business till 1858, and for several
years previous to that time the annual amount of his business was nine
thousand dollars. He now has a farm of four hundred acres, with ample
stock. He never uses segars or tobacco, and never engaged in games of
G. Frank TINE, Frankfort, one of seven children of George and Catherine
(ALLMAN) TINE, was born in Herkimer, March 4, 1859. George, the father,
was born in Bavaria, and his wife, Catharine, was born in Germany. G. F.
was married December 29, 1881, to Cora BELLE, one of six children of Daniel
and Maria (PUTNAM) BRIDENBECKER of East Schuyler. He worked for twelve
years in the Remington works at Ilion, the last six years as tool maker.
About six years ago he entered the employ of the West Shore railroad at
their shops in Frankfort, where he remains, he being foreman of the tool
department at the works. Since 1889 he has been engaged with his brother
in running a news room, book and general notion store, under the name of
Oscar WAGNER, Frankfort, was born in Prussia, July 6, 1862. He was one of
six children of William and Mathilde WAGNER. He was educated in the
schools of the city of Bromberg. In addition to the languages, etc., he
was given the benefits of a scientific education. When twenty years of age
he came to this country, locating in Frankfort, some nine and a half years.
In 1888 he went into general contracting and building . In 1889 he erected
a building, the first floor of which he occupies as a grocery and general
store. It is a fine three-story building 30 x 80 feet, the upper floors of
which are used as tenements. He also owns four other dwellings arranged
for two families each. He is one of the thrifty men of the town. He was
married March 10, 1886, to Bertha KOEPPE, a native of Prussia.
Rev. P. F. WALLACE, Frankfort, pastor of St. Peter and Paul's Roman
Catholic church, was born in Ireland, and educated at All Hallows College,
Dublin. He came to this country in 1881 and entered St. Joseph's Seminary
at Troy, N.Y., studying for the priesthood. He was ordained in 1886 and
appointed assistant priest at St. John's church, Albany, where he remained
for six years. Appointed to this parish by Right Rev. Bishop McNEIRNY, of
Albany, he came to Frankfort, April 19, 1892, he being the first resident
pastor, Rev. James HALPIN, of Herkimer, having officiated heretofore. A
fine parochial residence is being erected beside the church, under the
supervision of Fr. WALLACE.
11/22/06 Father P.F. Wallace's death card was graciously contributed by Tom Hinds.
William WAYNE, Frankfort, was born in New Scotland, Albany county, June 12,
1849. His father was Anthony WAYNE, and his mother Elizabeth (REID) WAYNE.
His grandfather, George WAYNE, was also born on the family homestead in New
Scotland. His great-grandfather, Anthony WAYNE, came from Derbyshire,
England, about the year 1770. Soon after the close of the war, he came to
this country and settled in New Scotland. In 1785 he gave a half acre of
ground for educational purposes and to-day a new school building stands
upon the spot. William WAYNE was married January 10, 1883, to Glenova
BECKER, of Central Bridge, a daughter of Abram and Ellen (WANDS) BECKER.
They have one son, Raymond B. WAYNE. Since 1870 Mr. WAYNE has done
business as a carpenter and builder, living in Frankfort since 1884,
engaging in building and selling houses - employing some fifteen men in his
S. P. WEAVER was born in the town of Frankfort, N.Y., in 1874. He was a
farmer in this town till 1870, when he purchased a farm near Seneca Falls
for $14,000 and engaged in the milk business, which he followed till 1875,
when he sold his farm for $20,000, and returned to Frankfort Center, where
he now resides, blessed with health, wealth and a beautiful home. His
grandfather, Peter WEAVER, was a soldier in the war of 1812.
H. B. WIDRIG was born in the town of Frankfort in 1828. He is an extensive
David WILLIAMS was born in Wales in 1802, and came to America in 1838. He became a resident of Frankfort, N.Y., in 1868.
Back to Town of Frankfort Page
Back to Herkimer/Montgomery Counties GenWeb
Back to New York State GenWeb
Last Updated: 11/22/06
Copyright ©1999 - 2006 Laura Perkins/ Martha S. Magill/ Carma Stone
Scan of Death Card of Rev. P.F. Wallace Copyright © 2006 Tom Hinds
All Rights Reserved.