The German Evangelical Lutheran Trinity Church of Herkimer, NY

Source:  "Panorama and History of Herkimer, NY, 1725-1900," written and compiled by Thomas C. Murray, sketches by A.P. Zintzmaster and D.J. Devendorf, published by Miss Flora L. Wood, book held at the Frank J. Basloe Library, Herkimer, NY.

German Lutheran Trinity Church
The church building in 1900 - b/w photo from source

        This Church was organized in 1885 under Rev. Alexander Aronett.  Services were at first held in the Court House and also, for a time, in the M. E. Church of this village.

        Owing to a rapid growth in membership a property was purchased on South Washington Street, and a church edifice was erected.  This Church may yet be seen on South Washington Street, remodeled and used for other than churchly purposes, the congregation having abandoned their property in 1890 on account of financial difficulties.

        Losing their house of worship was a very hard blow for the congregation, but the good people did not become discouraged and immediately took steps to obtain another property.  Finally a lot on South Main Street was bouth of J. Horatio Huyck, for the sum of $2,000, and the present church was built.  The history of Trinity Church since 1890 shows much progress, the members having liquidated a heavy debt which proved to be exceedingly cumbersome.  Concerning the present state of Trinity Church it can truthfully be said that it is sound and healthy.  The Sunday School and the Ladies' Aid Society are in a flourishing condition as well as the recently organized male choir, consisting of Ernst Riesel, Richard Lohrmann, Wilhelm Weiland, Richard Rasch, Gustav Stoek, Wolfgang Arndt and Adolph Schroeder.  The present Pastor of the Church is Rev. Carl A. Schroeder.


Back to The Town of Herkimer Page

Back to Herkimer/Montgomery Counties NYGenWeb

Back to New York State GenWeb

Created 8/5/00

Copyright © 2000 Lisa K. Slaski
All Rights Reserved.