HISTORIC HOMES OF HERKIMER COUNTY
TWO HOMES LONG GONE
This is a picture of the home formerly owned by Michael J. and Martha B. Foley, which was located at 112 Mary Street, Herkimer. Mr. Foley was president of the Standard Furniture Co. from 1892 to 1920.
The location of this elegant home was where the B.P.O.E. is today and across the street from the Herkimer County Office Building, which houses the Motor Vehicle Dept., Probation Dept., Civil Service Office, Legislatures Chamber, and various other offices.
About 1870 Sen. Warner Miller built a home for his wife Caroline Churchill. This property was known as Oak Hill Farms. The above picture was taken in June 1890 during a picnic party at the farm. This is another remarkable piece of architecture in the Herkimer area and displays what appears to be lightening rods on the home. Note the participants of the party arriving in their horse drawn carriages.
This location was on West German Street off Route 5. Oak Hill Cemetery now occupies part of the lands previously owned by Sen. and Mrs. Miller.