VILLAGE OF ILION
HERKIMER COUNTY, N.Y.
The following is taken from "Ilion 1852-1952." We thank the Mayor and
other officials of Ilion for granting us permission to provide this
information to our visitors.
The first entombments of our illustrious villlage forefathers passed
into oblivion. The area used before the Revolutionary War on Clark
Street probably was marked with only rude boards and headstones. Used
before 1850 by unclaimed paupers was a cemetary on West Hill and one off
West Street about where the Elk's Club stands.
The cemetary of today, purchased by the village about 1854, was laid
out two years later with John Doyle as Sexton. A $25 appropriation
furnished shade trees. An addition to the grounds was made by the gift
of John Hoefler in 1884. The G. A. R. was granted a large circle at the
main entrance and a bequest of $250 was accepted for the maintenance
of the lot of Samuel Remington. To George Dyett we owe the beautiful
In 1903, by special election, the village's rights and property in the
cemetary were passed over to an association known as the Ilion Cemetary
Association under the superintendency of E. G. Schulz. At his death
his son, Albert Schulz, took over the duties. In 1905 the Richardson
Memorial Chapel was dedicated.
St. Agnes' Cemetary on Oak Hill was opened by the Church of the
Annunciation in 1870, completing the original requisites for a parish. A
vault was added in 1875. In 1946 a plot on the east side of Barringer
Road was purchased to be developed for use when the first one was filled.
It was consecrated November 13, 1951.