REMINGTON CENTENNIAL CELEBRATION 1916
In addition to the Centennial Book which was prepared to commemorate
the 100th anniversary of the first Remington rifle, there was also a
Historical Souvenir Programme highlighting the events of the three day
celebration. It also contained information about some buildings and
organizations in Ilion. The content of that programme follows, and was
provided by Carolyn Deming Bayer of Ilion. Paragraphs have been spaced apart for ease of
The history of the commercial or practical typewriter begins with the modern date of 1874 when the first typewriters of the Remington make were placed upon the American market, but conception of some device for the purpose is much older.
As early as 1714, Henry Mill, an English engineer, obtained a patent for a machine which was intended to do writing but it would seem that any interest it awakened must have died early or more information would have come down about it.
In 1829, the first American patent for a typewriter was issued to a W. A. Burch of Detroit, Michigan, but nothing practical seems to have come of it. In 1833, a Frenchman, Xavier Pogrin, took a patent, and in 1840, Alexander Bain and Thomas Wright made application for a typewriter patent, but these devices were of no utility and hardly deserve mention. Other inventions and patents for typewriters might be mentioned but none proved to be of much practical use and were not productive of further progress toward the desired end.
In 1873, a typewriter that had been built in Milwaukee by C. Latham Sholes and others was brought to the noted manufacturers, E. Remington & Sons, with the hope that they would be able to make such improvements as to make it useful and marketable; for although it could be used for the purpose designed---that of writing letters, etc., with types---it was crude in appearance and of such construction as would hardly be practical for manufacturing.
This model was inspected by the Remingtons who became quite interested in its possibilities and it was finally arranged that they---the Remingtons---should undertake the making of a model with such improvements as would make it marketable and submit it for trial.
The Superintendent of the Remington Works, J. M. Clough, showed much interest in it when it was decided that an improved model should be made by the Remingtons he personally supervised it. One department, in which model sewing-machines and other models had been made under the management of W.K. Jenne was selected for making the model of the improved typewriter and Mr. Clough with Mr. Jenne devised most of the improvements for the new model.
When completed it looked so pretty compared with the former productions that all parties were much pleased and it was put out on trial. Although it delighted the eye it was not entirely satisfactory in its work and was returned for further improvement. The same parties engaged again in improving it and this second model was good enough to be placed upon the market and a contract was given the Remingtons for 500 like machines. This constituted the first contract for a typewriter to be really placed upon the market and was really the beginning of the typewriter business as a business and from this beginning has grown the immense business in that time.
CENTENNIAL MARKS LIBRARY BUREAU'S FORTIETH ANNIVERSARY
The beginning of the Library Bureau industry in Ilion dates back to the organization in 1901 of the Tucker File & Cabinet Company of which Charles Harter was President, W. C. Clarke, Vice-President, A. D. Richardson, Secretary and S. T. Russell, Treasurer and Manager.
This concern purchased the factory of the Coleman Carriage & Wagon Works on the corner of Main and Morgan Streets and began the manufacture of office and library equipment, their product being marketed by Clarke & Baker, Inc. of New York City. From the first this Company did a prosperous business and in 1905 a consolidation was effected with the sales organization and the Clarke & Baker Company organized. The following year a wood working factory was erected north of the West Shore Railroad to take care of the growing business.
In 1909 the control of Clarke & Baker Company was acquired by Library Bureau and the local factory has since been operated under that name. In that year additional factory buildings were erected and the steel furniture factory, formerly located at Cold Spring-on-Hudson, was moved to Ilion in 1910. At present further additions are being made to the plant to accommodate the greatly increasing business.
Library Bureau was organized in 1876 by Melvil Dewey, then librarian of Columbia University, to furnish library supplies and equipment, which before were not carried by any commercial house.
Library Bureau has been the originator of many of the most important devices for office use. Not only the card index, but also the vertical system of filing, the card ledger and many other ideas which have served to simplify and develop modern business. Library Bureau has its headquarters in Boston, Mass. At Cambridge, Mass. is located its factory for the manufacture of filing and card supplies of which Library Bureau is the largest manufacturer in the country. Factories for the manufacture of other Library Bureau lines are located in New York City, Chicago, and London, while the principle factories for the manufacture of filing devices and library furniture both in wood and in steel are located at Ilion.
The Remington Centennial year is also the Fortieth Anniversary of the founding of Library Bureau.
The present officers of Library Bureau are: S. T. Russell, president; A. N. Parlin, vice-president and treasurer; N. B. H. Parker, secretary, while the local officials are: A. B. Russell, manager; D. C. Markham, assistant manager and acting superintendent of the steel factory; M. A. Bennett, superintendent of the wood factory. Sales Offices of Library Bureau are located in forty-one leading cities of the United States, Canada, England and France.
ILION LIBRARY GIFT OF ILIONITE
Many towns and cities have Carnegie libraries but now, during the Remington Centennial, Ilion is especially proud that her library is the gift of an Ilionite. For some years the alumni of the Ilion High School worked very hard, collecting money to establish a much needed Public Library, but it was slow work. Then Clarence W. Seamans, himself an Ilion boy, educated in Ilion's school, made a generous gift to his home town. This took the form of a thirty-thousand-dollar building in which to house the library's books. The interest of the village was roused, an appropriation for books and maintenance secured and the library was opened in 1893 with Miss Anna H. Perkins as Librarian.
The control of the library rests with a Board of five: Miss Harriet E. Russell, President; Miss Carrie L. Richardson, Secretary; John A. Giblin, Secretary; James Conklin; N. W. Burton, and a staff of four, Miss N. M. Cheney and four assistants, Miss Perkins having retired after twenty years of service.
The library has grown steadily, always aiming to serve all the people from the children who call for nursery rhymes to the skilled men who need technical books.
It is open each week day from nine until nine with the use of the reading room on Sunday, during the winter, from two until six. There are seventeen thousand volumes in the library and the reading tables are supplied with current newspapers and periodicals.
THE ILION NATIONAL BANK
On February 2, 1852, the Ilion Bank began operations under the State Banking Laws, with a capital of $100,000. The first directors were: Eliphalet Remington, Samuel Cary, Benjamin Carver, John A. Rasbach, Jedediah P. Sill, John Ingersoll, L.L. Merry, William W. Sweeney, David R. Carrier, Dean Burgess, Benjamin P. Markham.
Eliphalet Remington was elected the first president; Samuel Cary, vice-president; Robert H. Pomeroy, cashier. Mr. Remington held the office of president until his death, and was succeeded by George Tuckerman. The bank suspended business in 1866, paying all of its liabilities in full.
The Ilion National Bank was organized March 14, 1867, with a capital of $100,000. The first president was Jacob J. Folts, and the first cashier, Charles Harter, who was succeeded in the office by David Lewis and he by F.C. Shepard and he by David Lewis, cashier. The first board of directors was as follows: Varnum S. Kenyon, Alfred E. Varney, William Getman, George Tuckerman, Floyd C. Shepard, Jacob J. Folts, Henry L. Green, Peter Countryman. Philo Remington succeeded Mr. Folts as president of the bank, and Charles Harter, the present president, succeeded Mr. Remington in March, 1886. Excellent management is shown in its condition. Its deposits now amount to $783,431.51, while it has a surplus and profits of $110,711.79, with assets of $1,125,615.95.
The present officers of the bank are: Charles Harter, President; Arleigh D. Richardson, Vice-President; George H. Watson, Cashier; Frank M. Bellinger, Asst. Cashier; Directors, Charles Harter, Arleigh D. Richardson, Frank A. Schmidt, Frank Hoefler, George B. Brand, B.B. Ross, Howard C. Furman.
MANUFACTURERS NATIONAL BANK
In 1908, a number of prominent business and professional men of Ilion came together, and organized the Manufacturers' National Bank, starting on May 4, of that year.
A strong board of directors was chosen consisting of, James Conkling, Fayette Getman, John A. Giblin, William Hartford, Norman Harter, Grosvenor W. Heacock, Archibald W. McGowan, Richard B. Redway and Samuel T. Russell.
The officers were Samuel T. Russell, President; John A. Giblin, First Vice-President; A. W. McGowan, Second Vice-President; G. W. Heacock, Secretary; Frank C. Thurwood, Cashier; Burley Smith, Assistant Cashier, and James Conkling, Attorney.
There has been but one change in the Board of Directors, due to the death of Mr. Hartford. His place was filled by the election of William H. Grimshaw, Secretary of the Ilion Loan Association.
The policy of the bank has been as liberal, as consistent with sound business methods, and has shown a steady increase in business.
Starting with deposits of $35,000 and resources of less than $100,000, the deposits are now over $800,000 and the totals nearly $1,000,000.
Dividends were begun the second year, and have been paid steadily since, while surplus account has now grown to about $55,000 exceeding the capital of $50,000 thus placing this Institution among the strong banks of the valley.
ILION HOLDS PLACE AMONG COUNTRY'S LEADING SOCIETIES
Ilion is represented in most of the leading fraternal organizations of the United States, and members of the local branches always play a part in the highest councils of their orders. Brief histories are included in this book for the benefit, not only for visitors now here, but also for the people of Ilion who may not have known of the town's wide representation in organizations of this character. They follow:
ILION LODGE, F. & A. M.
Ilion Lodge, No. 511, F. & A. M., was organized on the authority of dispensation on October 9, 1865. The dispensation named as officers; Thomas Richardson as W. M., F. C. Shepard, S. W. and Albert C. Stevens, J. W. The charter members of the lodge were; Thomas Richardson, F. C. Shepard, A. C. Stevens, Edson Delano, Albert M. Ross, E. A. Harris, R. R. Bennet, S. P. Sargent, John C. Day, S. S. Linnell, William Mason, J. S. Paddock, F. J. Rabeth, J. S. Kendall and A. C. Dickerman.
The past masters of the lodge are: Thomas Richardson, A. C. Stephanson, W. H. Jenne, Joseph A. Johnson, Samuel W. Skinner, Joseph Taylor, H. M. Burdick, John A. Rasbach, J. K. P. Harris, D. G. Ross, H. W. Bradley, R. Wright, William Hartford, Anthony Steber, N. A. Hanchet, H. E. West, James A. Whitfield, William Canary, W. C. Lewis, J. C. Wilkinson, F. A. Schmidt, Floyd A. Clayton, Charles B. Dygert and Walter C. Rix.
The present master of the lodge is N. A. Chase, and the present membership of the lodge, 511, is larger than any other lodge in the State.
The lodge first was located at Main and Otsego Streets. When this place became inadequate, rooms were had in the Grimes and Pelton Block. While occupying these rooms, the lodge erected a beautiful temple at Morgan and Second Streets, costing $30,000. The building was finished in 1908 and occupied. It now is being used as headquarters during the Remington Centennial celebration.
GOLDEN STAR LODGE, I. O. O. F.
Golden Star Lodge, No. 839, I. O. O. F., of Ilion, was instituted on Dec. 26, 1901, with twenty-one charter members. The first elective officers of the lodge were:
N. G., V. C. Guyvitts; V. G., W. H. Spurr; Rec. Sec, F. J. Haack; Treasurer, E. M. Gay; Trustees, Wm. Wooley, F. R. Weisbecker, M. F. Casler.
The lodge met in the Thomas Block, at Otsego and First Streets, until about three years ago, when it moved to the I. O. O. F. Temple. It has made gains in membership each year, and is strong financially. The lodge now has a working membership of 250 members, including thirty-one Past Guards.
Meetings are held every Friday evening, and all Oddfellows are welcome. The present officers of the lodge are:
N. G., C. L. Joiner; V. G., George Lilwall;, Rec. Sec, Ralph Smith; Fin. Sec, J. P. Cooper; Treasurer, Joseph Roth; Trustees, A. F. Kunze, Henry Rowland, Percy Miller.
DAUGHTERS OF ISABELLA
The National Order of the Daughters of Isabella was organized at Utica in 1903 and it now has branch organizations in thirty-three states. The order has a membership of 25,000 Catholic women, who are banded together for charitable and fraternal purposes. The society was named in honor of Queen Isabella of Castile, reigning monarch of Spain from 1474-1504. She was a woman of unusual strength of character. She brought about most harmonious relations between the people and the Crown, and generously pledged her jewels that Columbus might obtain the necessary means to continue his efforts to discover America.
Court Ilion, No. 265, was instituted June 27, 1915, with a charter membership of forty-two. At the present time double that number are enrolled. The affairs of the Court are ably conducted by the following officers:
Grand Regent, Mrs. Rosina Witte Glennie; Vice Grand Regent, Mrs. Isabel Barnum; Prophetess, Miss Bertha Furman; Monitor, Mrs. Alice Fenwick; Sentinel; Mrs. Jane Carney; Financial Sec'y, Miss Katherine Butler; Historian, Miss Blanche Foley; Treasurer, Miss Mary Porter; Organist, Mrs. Anna English; Lecturer, Mrs. Florence Fake; Trustees, Mrs. Helen Murphy, Mrs. Catherine Ricardi, Mrs. Emma Hurley, Miss Bertha Stressel, Miss Sarah McCoy, Mrs. Catherine Bonn.
ILION BRANCH OF THE HOUSEWIVES LEAGUE
The Ilion Branch of the Housewives' League was organized on May 15, 1914, at a meeting held at the home of Mrs. G. W. Warren.
The object of this organization is to secure the enforcement of laws providing for the proper and sanitary production of food supplies, to promote the health and protect the welfare of the community, and assist the members of the league in making the cost of maintenance of homes just and equitable.
All housewives and other women who are buyers of food products and who approve the purpose of the league are eligible to membership. The club now has a membership of forty including the following charter members:
Mrs. C. H. French; Mrs. J. G. Corey, Mrs. C. T. Yeoman, Mrs. C. S. Luce, Mrs. C. D. Monsel, Mrs. R. B. Redway, Mrs. William Hartford, Mrs. S. M. Alliston, Mrs. Alexander Jarvis, Mrs. J. H. Rudd, Mrs. R. D. LeRoy, Mrs. G. W. Warren, Mrs W. F. Borman, Mrs. Fred Ingersoll, Mrs. Robert Thompson, Mrs. A. C. Douglass, Mrs. E. W. Rude, Mrs. Wilmot Brown.
The officers since organization are: President, Mrs. G. W. Warren; First Vice-President, Mrs. C. D. Monsel; Second Vice-President, Mrs. C. C. Watts; Secretary and Treasurer, Nellie Mae Cheney.
The milk problem in Ilion was brought to the attention of the Housewive's League soon after its organization. A committee was appointed and in cooperation with the Village Board was influential in the appointment of a milk inspector and the publication of the ratings of milk dealers.
The next important work was for the relief of the Belgian sufferers and in this work several other clubs of the village joined and together raised about $250 in food and clothing which was shipped in Februray, 1915.
Each year a Clean-up week has been carried on in connection with which lawn contests and fly campaigns have been held and an effort made toward making Ilion a cleaner and more beautiful place in which to live.
Child welfare has also received special attention and two exhibits have been held at the High School building, the New York State Health department furnishing speakers for the meetings held during the exhibit.
Much pleasure has been derived from the improvements at the swimming pool which were made possible by a committee from the Housewive's League.
Meetings are held on the third Monday of each month from September to June at three o'clock in the Board of Trade rooms. Membership dues are one dollar per year including subscription to the Housewive's League magazine.
THE ILION HISTORICAL CLUB
The Historical Club was organized in Nov., 1893, and federated the following year, its object being self culture and mutual improvement. The charter members, twenty-five in number, began their work with the study of Rome. Since then, they have studied the history of many other countries and become interested in civic improvement; such as furnishing a room in the Ilion hospital, and supplying many of its needs since; helping to purchase an x-ray for the same institution and giving financial aid to many worthy causes, among them being; an Industrial School for Girls, a shelter for women, and the war-stricken Belgians.
The club has beautified a long stretch of the canal bank on East Main Street, putting in nearly two hundred shrubs and plants, in preparation for this celebration.
KNIGHTS OF COLUMBUS
Ilion Council, No. 518, Knights of Columbus, was instituted on May 30, 1900, with forty-six members and the following officers: James B. Tourbet, Grand Knight; John P. McGraw, Deputy Grand Knight; Geo. J. Rich, Chancellor; B. A. Witte, Fin. Secrertary; H. P. Matthews, Recorder; John O'Hara, Treasurer; John M. O'Rourke, Advocate; H. P. Hamlin, Warden; David Macksey, Inside Guard; Pat'k J. Foley, Outside Guard; Michael McLoughlin, Lecturer; Rev. C. E. Linehan, Chaplain; James Butler, Frank Nangle, Benj. O'Brien, Frank Lynch, A. J. Carr, Trustees.
The Council now numbers, among 240 members, many representative Catholics of the village and has done a large amount of charitable work. At present it has in contemplation the erection of a home on West Street. The following are the present officers: Frank J. Byrnes, Grand Knight; Joseph Tracy, Deputy Grand Knight; James Doyle, Chancellor; Joseph Sullivan, Recorder; Andrew J. Knox, Financial Secty.; John D. Buckley, Treasurer; Justin L. Doyle, Lecturer; John T. Channey, Advocate; Edward Colling, Warden; John Cronkhite, Inside Guard; Lawrence Gallegher, Outside Guard; Rev. J. B. Gillson, Chaplain; F. B. Sullivan, Justin Doyle, John J. Drennan, Trustees.
The purpose of the society is to develop a practical Catholicity among its members, to promote Catholic education and charity and through its insurance department to furnish at least temporary financial aid to the families of deceased members.
On May 15, 1882, the organizers as a Supreme Committee, instituted the first Subordinate Council, San Salvador, No. 1, at New Haven, Conn.
On Feb. 22, 1900, the first instance of the Fourth Degree took place in New York City when 1,200 candidates from all parts of the United States received the degree.
The order is now established in every state and territory of the United States, every Providence in Canada, New Foundland, Phillipine Islands, Mexico, Cuba and Panama.
The Knights of Columbus have done noble work promoting Catholic education, homes for Catholic orphans, endowing scholarships in Catholic colleges, providing lectures on Catholic doctrine, endowing hospital beds, providing sanitariums for sick members, maintaining employment bureaus, and in general performing the work of the apostolate of the laity.
In 1904, the order presented to the Catholic University at Washington, D. C., $50,000 for a chair of American History and also raised $500,000 to endow fifty scholarships in the University. The erection of a memorial to Christopher Columbus in the City of Washington, D. C., is due in a measure to the Knights of Columbus. Columbus Day is now observed in fifteen states of the Union on Oct. 12.
CHISMORE W. R. C. NO. 1
Of our many organizations of women, founded upon patriotic principles, Chismore Women's Relief Corps stands out as the pioneer.
It was organized in 1883 and has the distinction of being the oldest corps in the state.
Mrs. Kate E. Jones, who later became National President, was the first President and with her Staff of Officers did much to prove the worth of the Society. A large amount of relief work has been done, employment secured for the deserving, the Widows and Orphans of Civil War Veterans cared for and the Army Nurses given any necessary aid.
Flags were first placed in our Public Schools by this Society, also pictures of Washington and Lincoln and the Declaration of Independence Charts and Oleographs.
Each Sunday School has been presented with a flag.
The urn on the Soldier's Plot as well as the Flag Pole and Staff came from the same source.
When the Women's Relief Corps' Home was built at Oxford, N. Y., Chismore Corps very generously donated money enough to furnish one of the Rooms.
More recently under the auspices of the Corps, the beautiful Soldier's Monument was erected.
NOKOMOS TRIBE, O. R. M.
Nokomis Tribe, No. 413, Improved Order of Red Men, was instituted through the efforts of Past Sachem George E. Southworth, now of Bridgeport, Conn., the fifteenth Sun of Warm G. S. D. 410, (March 15, 1901), with 78 charter members.
The first officers of the tribe were: Sachem, James J. Craig; Senior Sagamore, B. A. Russell; Junior Sagamore, Philo O. Baker; Prophet, Frank Russell; Chief of Records, Charles E. Snell; Keeper of Wampum, L. A. Diss; Collector of Wampum, Wm. D. Blasier; Trustees, Wm. A. Schmidt, George E. Southworth and George D. Griffith.
Meetings are held every Tuesday evening at eight o'clock in Red Men's Hall on the third floor of the Pelton Block on First Street. Adjoining the lodge rooms are nicely equipped club rooms which are open at all times for members and out-of-town brothers who are always welcome.
The present membership is ninety, of whom seventeen are charter members. The present officers are Prophet, Thomas Campbell; Sachem, William Farnam; Senior Sagamore, Charles Orloff; Junior Sagamore, William Hall; Chief of Records, George W. Sweet; Keeper of Wampum, Clyde L. Eckler; Collector of Wampum, Fred E. Fosgate; Trustees, Roy Ackler, Charles Lechich and Philip Jones.
VIOLET REBEKAH LODGE, I. O. O. F.
Violet Rebekah Lodge, No. 198, was instituted in the Wilcox Block, March 11, 1898, by Past Grand Master Olmstead, with the following charter members; Wm. King, Thomas S. Yeoman, Herman Schaepe, E. T. Selliman, Wm. Goering, Fred Wachtman, H. W. Bradley, M. D. Tallman, Anna G. Bradley, Bertha Schaepe, Hattie E. Tallman, Margaret Jess, Ida Van Alstine, Mary Lovell, Matie Wachtman, Agnes Yeoman, Emma L. Lory, Emma Gay, Elise Lory.
Utica Rebekah Lodge, No. 157, put on the Degree work, and eighteen candidates were initiated, thus starting what has become a very flourishing lodge.
On July 14, 1899, Brother John Stitt was appointed Degree Master, which office he filled faithfully for a number of years. Following this, Violet Rebekah Lodge put on the degree work at institution of Golden Star Lodge of Utica; Frankfort Lodge of Frankfort; and Palm Branch Lodge of Herkimer; and instituted Elizabeth lodge of Mohawk; and Three Links Lodge of Little Falls.
On July 13, 1900, Brother Oswald Clayton presented to Violet Rebekah Lodge, as a relic, the first apron worn in Subordinate Lodge, which was duly framed and is still in possession of the lodge.
On January 23d, 1903, Violet Rebakah Lodge bought the first shares toward the temple plot and the lodge now owns 126 shares in the temple.
On March 26, 1909, the lodge helped furnish Odd Fellows (I. O. O. F.) Room at the Hospital.
The following Noble Grands have presided during the past eighteen years; 1898, Anna Bradley; 1899, Hattie E. Tallman; 1900, Hattie E. Tallman; 1901, Matie Wachtman; 1902, Jennie Smith; 1903, Hattie Lewis; 1904, Elizabeth Lever; 1905, Emma Gay; 1906, Ella Reese; 1907, Ada Brannan; 1908, Albenia Gould; 1909, Minnie Stoddard; 1910, Agnes Yeoman; 1911, Etta Mack; 1912, Jessie Parkhill; 1913, Margaret Pickert; 1914, Ethel M. Johnson; 1915, Nina Gilmore; 1916, Lillian Gould.
Violet Rebekah Lodge has had the honor of having five district Deputy Presidents.
There has been fourteen deceased members and at the present time has a membership of 186.
IROQUOIS CHAPTER R. A. M.
After the establishment of Ilion Lodge, No. 591, F. A. Masons, in 1865, there came to Ilion many members of the fraternity who, with this large number of new members in the Ilion Lodge, created a strong interest and desire for advancement in Masonry. After a careful canvass among the Royal Arch Masons of Ilion, Herkimer, Little Falls and Utica, it was decided to petition for dispensation which was granted and Iroquois Chapter, No. 236, R. A. M., was organized March 3, 1869, by authority U. D. by Rees G. Williams, D. G. H. P., assisted by R. E. Comp Scranton. The officers were; Abel C. Dickerman, M. E. H. P.; Albert C. Stevens, E. K.; Alfred E. Brooks, E. S.; Gilbertr W. Warren, C. H.; W. K. Jenne, P. S.; Edward Marsland, M. of 1st V.; Arnon Comstock, M. of 2nd V.; William Hitzmiller, M. of 3rd V.; W. W. Benton, R. A. C.; E. Roche, Secretary; John Hoefler, Treasurer; C. A. Pettingill, Tyler; F. F. Jewell, Chaplain; John Baker, Organist.
The charter members were; A. C. Dickerman, A. C. Stevens, A. E. Brooks, E. Roche, W. W. Benton, W. K. Jenne, A. Comstock, John Hoefler, M. P. Whitney, Joseph A. Johnson, Albert Hague, Louis Stephens, W. Hitzmiller, E. H. Bennett, F. C. Mauser, Edward Marsland, J. C. Paddock, S. P. Sargent, A. H. Jones, Samuel W. Skinner, C. A. Pettingill, J. S. Norton, Rees G. Williams, G. W. Warren, Jefferson Mallory.
The Chapter continued under the dispensation until Feb. 9, 1870, when a warrant was received and the following officers installed by R. E. D. G. M. Reese G. Williams assisted by R. E. Companion Scranton.
The following Companions have served as H. P.: A. C. Dickerman, 1869-1872; G. W. Warren, 1872-1873; W. K. Jenne, 1873-1875; S. W. Skinner, 1875-1878; C. R. White, 1878-1879; J. A. Johnson, 1879-1881; C. W. Carpenter, 1881-1883; J. Taylor, 1883-1884; R. Wright, 1884-1886; H. R. Carpenter, 1886-1888; M. K. Ellsworth, 1888-1890; J. A. Whitfield, 1890-1892; C. E. Luke, 1893-1894; H. A. House, 1894-1895; J. A. Whitfield, 1896; S. W. Skinner, 1897; N. A. Hanchett, 1898-1899; C. E. Cronk, 1900-1901; J. D. Fitch, 1902-1903; H. R. Carpenter, 1904-1905; F. D. Silsby, 1906-1907; L. A. Diss, 1908-1909; J. R. Bliss, 1910-1911; Perry A. Miller, 1912-1913; Carrol E Hoyt, 1914-1915; Gordon H. Sterling, 1916.
The present membership of the lodge is 285.
THE ROYAL ARCANUM
E. S. Walker Council, No. 335, Royal Arcanum, was instituted May 28, 1879, with twenty-one charter members, as follows;
A. J. Lodewick, John Irlain, W. W. Benton, Joseph A. Johnson, Geo. F. Stevens, John A. Rasbach, James I. Rasbach, Philo Osgood, F. C. Shepard, Geo W. Cutler, Charles H. Hubbard, Dr. D. N. Walker, Arthur Beach, Horatio S. Hilts, Reuben Wright, Thomas Parks, C. W. Annable, Edward A. Fake, Asa S. Annable, Jos. H. Hubbard.
Of the charter members the men now are living; John E. Irlain, Sam E. Irlain, Reuben Wrights.
The officers for the year of 1916, are; Regent, F. G. Kershaw; Vice Regent, James Bell; Past Regent, Dr. A. D. Chattaway; Orator, Paul W. Houpt; Secretary, A. E. Dengler; Collector, F. E. Fosgate; Treasurer, M. F. Mallory; Chaplain, Cyrus K. Harter; Guide, A. W. Jefts; Warden, F. L. Newhouse; Sentry, F. G. Staiger, Jr.; Trustees, Dr. A. D. Chattaway, Fred S. Rees, B. W. Cohoon.The present membership is 205. The medical examiner is Dr. C. J. Diss.
THE TRAVELERS CLUB
The Traveler's Club of Ilion has the distinction of being the pioneer woman's club of Herkimer County, having been organized in 1890 with 33 members, and has inspired other women throughout the county to form similar societies.
The prime object of the club has been to follow a fixed course of study, which offers to each member opportunity, not only to increase her knowledge, but to develop power of thought and to cultivate the art of expression. At the meetings which are held every two weeks, study by original papers, conversation and general discussion, is given, to history, art, literature, politics and progress of the various countries. In this way, twenty-six years have been pleasantly and profitably spent, and in addition, consideration is given to current events leading to a wider interest and increased usefulness in philanthropic and civic work, extending far beyond the club membership, and has often had to its credit the initiative in enterprises for the good of the community.
The present officers of the club are; President, Mrs. Ralph D. LeRoy; First Vice-President, Mrs. C. C. Brill; Second Vice-President, Mrs. A. C. Douglas; Recording Secretary, Mrs. Marion K. Race; Corresponding Secretary, Mrs. A. H. Tucker; Treasurer, Mrs. James A. Smith.
THE ILION SHAKESPEARE CLUB
Among the prominent organizations of Ilion is the Shakespeare Club, now entering upon its thirteenth year, having been organized in May, 1904, by Mr. and Mrs. John Calder. This is purely a social club of ladies and gentlemen who meet every other Wednesday evening from September until April. They plan to read four plays each year, meeting at the homes of the members.
The officers and personnel of the club for the year 1916-1917 are as follows; President, Dr. R. B. Redway; Vice-President, Mrs. A. D. Morgan; Secretary-Treasurer, Mrs. William Marsland.
Members: E. E. Barney, Mrs. E. E. Barney, G. B. Brand, Mrs. G. B. Brand, C. C. Brill, Mrs. C. C. Brill, Miss Marion Carpenter, Dr. A. D. Chattaway, Mrs. A. D. Chattaway, Miss Loretta C. Douglas, Dr. A. C. Douglass, Mrs. A. C. Douglass, J. V. Downs, M. F. Eldred, G. G. Hakes, Mrs. G. G. Hakes, Seward Hakes, Mrs. Seward Hakes, J. H. Harrison, Mrs. J. H. Harrison, F. A. Haughton, Mrs. F. A. Haughton, Mrs. E. E. Jenne, William Marsland, Mrs. William Marsland, A. D. Morgan, Mrs. A. D. Morgan, A. W. McGowan, Mrs. A. W. McGowan, Mrs. Marian K. Race, Dr. R. B. Redway, Mrs. R. B. Redway, Miss Carrie L. Richardson, Dr. Jennie M. Richardson, Miss Elizabeth Ringwood, J. Holland Rudd, Mrs. J. Holland Rudd, A. B. Russell, I. C. Seamans, Mrs. Lillian Shepherd, A. M. Schwartz, Mrs. A. M. Schwartz, Mrs. J. C. Truax, Duncan Wemyss.
Associate members: C. C. Tyler, Mrs. C. C. Tyler, G. B. Pelton, Miss Mae Pelton, Miss N. S. Heacock.Honorary Members: John Calder, Mrs. John Calder.
ILION TENT, 357, K. O. T. M.
With 13 charter members, Ilion Tent, 357, K. O. T. M., was instituted April 13, 1895. The charter members are: E. F. Comstock, Past Commander; Daniel Dygert, Commander; A. S. Youngs, C. F. Comstock, L. E. Hollister, F. M. Cheney, P. T. Clark, F. S. Comstock, J. T. Ackler, C. S. Stickles, Ralph Hason, Bert Miller.
At the present time the tent has 100 members in good standing. Meetings are held each Tuesday evening in Knights of Pythias Hall.
THE BEETHOVEN MAENNERCHOR
The Beethoven Maennerchor, known as the Frohsieu Singing Society up to 1902, was instituted, October 2, 1899, by the following music and song-loving German residents of Ilion: J. Hagemann, L. Kade, Ch. Gerber, W. Hartleib, August Roelsch, K. Klett, G. Kohl, Fr. Prokop, O. Schneider, J. Spisal, B. Spoerer.
The first officers of the Society were the following: Joseph Hagemann, President; Aug. Hoelsch, Vice President; Louis Kade, Secretary; Osw. Schneider, Treasurer.
To promote German song, foster the use of German language, literature, German customs, and genuine good sociability was considered the main objects of the Society.
No time was lost. Singing was begun at once under their instructor, O. Schneider, and by diligent practice in singing the Society was able to give the first musical entertainment and ball Christmas Day, the same year. The Society progressed nicely and within a year counted thirty-five members. Their first home in Ch. Blum's hall on First Street, was considered too small and the Society moved to the Wilcox Block. Several years were spent there and pleasant social and musical entertainments were held there under the able management of the several active Presidents, J. Hagemann, Louis Kade, W. Hartleib, A. Baulig and M. Kern.
In the year 1905, the Society joined the Central New York Singing Band and on four different occasions the Maennerchor competed with other singing societies and were awarded prizes, in Troy, under Instructor Osw. Schneider; in Syracuse, under Instructor E. Beach; in Albany, under Instructor Fr. Steber; and in Syracuse, under Instrucor N. Zarth.
On different occasions here in Ilion Opera House, Odd Fellows Temple and High School, the singers gave proof of their efficiency. Their present home is in Hunt Block, Otsego Street. The present number of members is eighty-two, i. e., 20 active as singers and the rest passive or social members, including about thirty Americans. The present officers are the following; H. Kiel, President; O. Schwartz, Vice-President; P. Wind, Corresponding Secretary; Aug. Holland, Financial Secretary; Louis Kade, Treasurer; Fr. Steber, Musical Instructor.
[Note: for poem below, read down left column, then down right column.]