THE TOWN OF MANHEIM
HERKIMER COUNTY, NY
Manheim is a geographically small town in the far eastern
end of Herkimer County, where it borders the towns of Oppenheim, Fulton County and St. Johnsville, Montgomery County. It's
whole eastern border is bounded by East Canada Creek. Brockett's Bridge is now the scenic 19th century village of Dolgeville,
home of the Daniel Green shoe factory, as well as the Dolgeville-Manheim Historical Society (photo left). No, you can't do
research there yet but you can see interesting displays and artifacts.
In 1869 Manheim had sizeable concentrations of families of the surnames Bellinger, Brown, Helmer, Loucks, Snell, Timmerman
and Van Valkenburg, as well as descendants of other early families whose surnames appear on our queries boards. Do you have
obits, pension records or info about families in the 1869 directory, or other Manheim info to share? Please let me know what
you have! The profile of the Town of Manheim, directly after article listings on this page.
1869-70 GAZETTEER AND BUSINESS DIRECTORY OF HERKIMER COUNTY: MANHEIM
1887-88 Herkimer County Directory: Dolgeville
1888-1889 Dolgeville Directory
1888-1889 Manheim Directory
4/10/10 Inghams Mills Rural Park Cemetery
1800 Census of Manheim
1870 & 1880 Census Partials
1890 Census, Surviving Veterans and Widows of the Town of Manheim
HISTORY OF MANHEIM
Highway Records of the Palatine District
History of Inghams Mills
Manheim Town Officials
Dolgeville Post Office Mural
Golden Anniversary of Rural Electrification
Tax Records of the Town of Palatine: 1787 and 1788
History of Dolgeville NY Fire Department
Beardslee Castle in 1953
CEMETERIES OF MANHEIM
Faville Peck, or Sherwood, Cemetery
Old City Cemetery
SNELLS BUSH CEMETERY
Yellow Church Cemetery Burials
Dolgeville Cemetery: Part 1 Part 2 Part 3
MANHEIM FAMILIES AND PERSONS OF NOTE
Wills of the Davis Family
A Line of the Brockett Family
Will of John Strough
Will of Yost Henry Davis
Faville Family Genealogy
1937 Melrose Soccer Team Champions
Wills of Valentine & Catherine Steinmuller of Manheim
The Old Yellow Church
Memorandum of Formation of the Old Yellow Church of Manheim, NY
Roll of Members From the Old Yellow Church of Manheim, NY, 1839
Index to the Baptisms of the Old Yellow Church of Manheim, NY, 1811-1843
Baptismal Records of the Old Yellow Church of Manheim, NY, 1811-1843
Revolutionary War Pension Record of Henry Ritter
SCHOOLS OF MANHEIM
1934 Dolgeville Jr. High Commencement Program
1935 Dolgeville Jr. High Commencement Program
1926 Dolgeville Union Free School Class Photograph
5th and 6th Grade Class Photo, Union Free School, Dolgeville, NY, circa 1922
Aunt May's Diary: early 20th century Dolgeville seen
through the eyes of a young woman; a link to another site
PROFILE AND HISTORY OF THE TOWN OF MANHEIM
from the Gazetteer and Business Directory of Herkimer County, N.Y. 1869-70
MANHEIM, named from Manheim, in Baden, the native place of the first settlers, was formed from Palatine, Montgomery County, April 7th, 1817. It lies on the north bank of the Mohawk, upon the east border of the County. The surface gradually rises from the flats along the Mohawk, to the north border, where it attains an elevation of 500 feet above the river. East Canada Creek, called by the Indians Ci-o-ha-na, forms the east boundary. Cathatachua Creek flows south, through near the center, and Bennett Brook flows south-east through the north-east corner. There is a series of cascades upon East Canada Creek, about one mile above its mouth, where the water descends 180 feet in three fourths of a mile. The soil is a gravelly loam upon the upland, and a fine, fertile alluvium in the valleys.
Brocketts Bridge, (p.o.) situated upon East Canada Creek, in the north part, contains two churches, viz: Methodist and Free church, a tannery, a cheese factory and about 250 inhabitants.
Inghams Mills, (p.o.) on East Canada Creek, three miles below Brocketts Bridge, contains a grist mill with two runs of stones, a saw mill, a church and about 100 inhabitants.
East Creek (p.o.) is a station on the N. Y. C. R. R., near the mouth of East Canada Creek.
Manheim Center is a post office. A short distance south-east of this place is a Reformed Dutch Church that was organized before the Revolutionary war.
This town was settled at an early day, probably as early as 1756, by Germans. A grant of 3,600 acres was made in 1755 to Jacob Timmerman and Johan Jost Schnell, commonly known as Snell and Timmerman's Patent. Suffrenus, Peter, Joseph and Jacob Snell, four sons of one of the patentees, made a donation of seven acres of land for a church lot, and twelve acres for school purposes. They and their neighbors continued to meet and work upon the land Saturday afternoons until it was cleared and fit for cultivation. A church was erected on the land designed for that purpose, aud remained until 1850, when it was replaced by a new one. The school house in the district stands on the donated lot. Nine of the Snell family went into the Oriskany battle under Gen. Herkimer, seven of whom were killed. Henry Remensneider and Johannes Boyer settled on Glen's Purchase, a few miles north of Little Falls, previous to the Revolution. Among the other early settlers, who located in the town before the Revolution were the Keysers, Van Slykes, Newmans, Shavers, Klocks, Adles and Harters, all of whom suffered greatly during the struggle for Independence.
This, like other settlements in the Mohawk Valley, suffered severely from the attacks of the Indians. On the 3d of April, 1780, a party of about sixty Tories and Indians attacked Remensneider's Bush, a settlement a few miles from Little Falls, burned a grist mill and carried away nineteen prisoners. They took John Garter and his son John prisoners at the mill, and captured three men in the road near by, one of whom was Joseph Newman. Aming the other prisoners were John Windecker, Henry Shaver, George Adle, Corbus Van Slyke and --- Uker. Twelve of the prisoners were taken in one house by less than half their number of Indians, no effort being made to escape or resist. All but two of the prisoners returned after the war, John Garter having died in Canada and George Adle having escaped and returned previously. There was a blockhouse in this neighborhood called Remensneider's Fort, to which the inhabitants were accustomed to resort at night for safety and protection. After this visit from the Indians most of the families retired to the lower valley and abandoned their farms. John G. Snell, while looking for cattle in the woods, was surprised and shot through the body by the Indians. He recovered and lived to a good old age.
John Beardslee, a native of Sharon, Conn., a practical mechanic and civil engineer, came to the Mohawk Valley in 1787, and erected mills at Whitestown, where he remained until 1792, when he wae employed by the State to build a set of mills for the Oneida Indians. About this time he erected the first bridge across the Mohawk at Little Falls, and the old red mill at the same place. Bridges and mills were erected by him at various places in this and adjoining counties; among them was a bridge over West Canada Creek, another over East Canada Creek, and a grist and saw mill and cloth dressing works about half a mile north of the present Mohawk turnpike bridge. The bridge across East Canada Creek was paid for by Montgomery County, and in order to obtain the necessary timber, he purchased a hundred acre lot west of the Creek and adjoining the site of the bridge, for which he paid 330 pounds New York currency, in March 1774. He subsequently erected mills which were in operation the next year. The mills attracted emigrants, and in 1800 there was quite a village, containing two stores, two tanneries, a blacksmith shop, a nail factory, a cooperage, and a brewery. After a successful business life, Mr. Beardslee died on the 3d day of October, 1825.
The first church in this town, built in 1774 or '5, was burned during the war but was rebuilt soon after.
The population of the town in 1865 was 1,831; its area is 18,034 acres.
There are eight school districts, employing nine teachers. The number of children of school age is 405; the number attending school 306; the average attendance 155, and the amount expended for school purposes during the year ending September 30, 1868, was $2,333.12.