THE OLD YELLOW CHURCH
In the Town of Manheim, on Yellow Church Road, there is a beautifully maintained cemetery, formerly the site of four churches. The first log church was built around 1733 by German settlers of Rheimensnyder's Bush, north of Little Falls. Around 1780 the log church was burned by a raiding party of Indians and Tories. In 1781 a frame church was erected. In 1821, a new church was needed and funds were raised to build a church called The German Evangelical Society of Manheim. In 1847 the name was changed to Dutch Reformed and Lutheran Union Church. A few years later it was solely Lutheran.
The fourth church built on the same site was completed in 1882 and painted yellow. Moving populations, the growth of churches in nearby towns, and the advent of the automobile caused the passing of many rural churches. In 1964 the church was sold and demolished. Currently the cemetery is maintained by an active Yellow Church Cemetery Association.
On May 4, 1881, the following people subscribed to pay sums of money to erect the new Yellow
Church, built in 1882:
Inscription on monument in Yellow Church Cemetery, Town of Manheim
Source: The above article was researched from original sources and written by Jane Dieffenbacher, Fairfield Town Historian.
Last Updated: 10/12/97
Copyright ©1997 Jane Dieffenbacher/Martha S. Magill
All Rights Reserved.