UNITED METHODIST CHURCH
The Salisbury-Methodist Church was organized November 3, 1820 at the
residence of Moses Rice. The group would meet in log cabins to conduct
In 1826 they organized the Methodist Episcopal class and they drew up plans
to build a church. In 1828 they decided to erect a frame church on Route 29
in Salisbury Center. Most of the supplies were donated and volunteers built
the church. It was the first building in the town that was erected without
whiskey for the workers. Some volunteers said "NO RUM--No Work" and withdrew
from helping. It was enclosed and occupied for religious worship for about 2
years unfinished. The congregation sat on rough boards. In 1830 the church
was completed and dedicated. It was originally a much lower building.
In 1870 more land was acquired and the church was moved to the center of the
property and it was raised to provide space for social and Sunday School
rooms. At that time a bell tower and steeple with five spires was added,
horse sheds out back were extended, and the driveway that goes all the way
around the church was added.
The bell was given to the church in 1870 by a village storekeeper, Daniel
Northrup. It was purchased for $400 and weighed 1000 pounds. The front
entrance of the church gave access to the rope of the bell and the bell was
used to alert the public of an emergency until the Fire Department was built.
The church took on a new look in 1929 when stained glass windows were
Article and photo kindly contributed by Ken Mowers.