In the barn (2) in the foreground Abram Simmins ( that is he in the picture) operated a wagon shop and general repair facility from 1877 to 1934. He also refinished furniture. Before that, in the mid 1800s, a lawyer named Pitcher maintained an office in the background. In the 1950s a large rock came loose from the high bank behind the barn and went through its side. The damage was so great that it was decided to replace the structure with a garage.
This was a grocery and liquor store (3) operated by Abram Krill in the 1860s. It stood at the northwest corner of the main street (present Route 80) and the Jordanville Road. The wing on the left may have been an addition, which housed a shoe repair shop operated by a family named Fetterley. It was legal in those days for individuals or businesses to issue their own paper currency, known colloquially as "shinplasters," and these shown here are examples of the Krills'. They are dated in "Van Hornesville, Herk.Co. N.Y. Oct. 25th 1869".
Copyright © 1999 Ronald Smith / Mildred Shaul Smith/ Carol Perry/ Martha S. Magill
All Rights Reserved.