THE TOWN OF WARREN
HERKIMER COUNTY, NY
Baptist Church, Jordanville, N.Y.
The Town of Warren was one of the earliest Herkimer
County towns, formed from German Flatts in 1796. The 1800 census includes families that later became residents of the
town of Columbia.
Boyd's 1872-73 Business Directory of Warren - scroll to bottom of this page.
Columbia's Early History
1839 Warren Tax Rolls
1892 Warren Property Tax Assessments: Part 1 Surnames A - D
1892 Warren Property Tax Assessments: Part 2 Surnames E - K
1892 Warren Property Tax Assessments: Part 3 Surnames L - P
1892 Warren Property Tax Assessments: Part 4 Surnames R - W
1892 Warren Property Tax Assessments: Part 5 Surnames Y - Z, and Non-Resident Owners
1867 Warren Tax Payers' Petition
Newsy Warren Tidbits from Old Newspapers and Items of Social and Cultural Interest
Picture of Little Lakes
Old Postcards of Jordanville
11/17/15 A Road Trip to Old Andrustown in 1919
Andrustown Massacre Monument Photos
Photos of Paul Crim Bible
Jordanville and the Once Famous Castle
Orthodox Seminary Confers Degrees in 1956
1800 CENSUS OF WARREN
1868 Map of the Village of Little Lakes
WARREN FAMILIES AND PERSONS OF NOTE
Warren Family Sketches
Profiles of Some Town of Warren Residents
Autobiography of Almon Mason of Warren
The Coakley Family of Warren
The Roxana Druse/Druce Murder Case, Part 1
The Roxana Druse/Druce Murder Case, Part 2
1815 Will of Phineas Holcomb , first minister of the Jordanville Baptist Church and first minister in the town of Warren.
1835 Letter Re: Elijah Jones
Little Lakes Cemetery
Highland Rural Cemetery Burials
New Cemetery at Jordanville (now called Highland Rural) - old list
Old Cemetery at Jordanville
Some Small Cemeteries: Methodist Episcopal Church, Bloomfield, Paul Crim and Pooler Cemeteries
More Small Cemeteries: Un-named Cemetery at Little Lakes, McCredy Cemetery, Un-Named Cemetery on Little Lakes Road, and Helmer Cemetery
Samuel Atkins Gravesite
Headstone of Paul Crim
Revolutionary War Patriot Burials
The Charter of the Second Reformed Protestant Dutch Church of Warren, New York
Civil War Soldiers From the Town of Warren
1890 Surviving Veterans and Widows of the Town of Warren
The Revolutionary War Pension Application of Jonathan Averill
The Revolutionary War Pension Application of Anthony Devoe
The Revolutionary War Pension Application of Henry Grim (Crim)
The Richfield Springs Mercury - online version of the local newspaper
2/16/15 Holy Trinity Monastery, Jordanville
PROFILE AND HISTORY OF THE TOWN OF WARREN
from the Gazetteer and Business Directory of Herkimer County, N.Y. 1869-70
WARREN, named in honor of General Joseph Warren, who fell at the battle of Bunker Hill, was formed from German Flats, February 5, 1796. Columbia was taken off in 1812. It lies centrally on the south border of the County. The surface is hilly, the highest points being from 500 to 800 feet above the Mohawk. The principal stream is Fish Creek, which flows south and is bordered by steep banks from 100 to 200 feet high. Mud Lake, in the east, and Weaver's and Young's Lakes, in the south, are small bodies of water. The soil is a sandy and clayey loam. There are two small sulphur springs in town.
Jordanville, (p.v.) situated a little north of the center, contains two churches, viz., Methodist and Baptist; two stores, a public hall, several mechanic shops and about forty dwellings.
Little Lakes (Warren p.o.) contains a church, a hotel, a store, a carriage shop, several other shops of various kinds and twenty-five dwellings. Near this place is the saw mill and horse-rake factory of W. R. Wall; the mill cuts about 100,000 feet annually and about fifty rakes are made for the retail trade.
Warren Cheese Factory makes 90,000 pounds annually.
The Cheese Factory at Warren Center, owned by Daniel Tilden, turns out about 100,000 pounds annually.
Wetherbee's Mills are located in the south-west part of the town. The grist mill contains four runs of stones and grinds 50,000 bushels annually; the saw mill cuts about 200,000 feet annually.
In the north-west part of the town is an estate of 1500 acres owned by Mrs. H. D. Cruger, of New York. A mansion house and thirteen tenant houses are upon the farm, called the Henderson Home.
Settlements were commenced here previous to the Revolution, by Germans from the upper valley. Andrustown and the Little Lakes were the principal points occupied. Andrustown was plundered and burned by Brant in July, 1778; a part of the inhabitants were killed and others carried into captivity. Youngs Settlement at the Lakes was spared on account of the Tory principles of the proprietor; but the Americans soon after plundered and burned the place in retaliation.
In March, 1792, Samuel Cleland, from Colchester, Massachusetts, came into this town and settled with his family. This was the first New England family that immigrated to this place. Mr. Cleland's five sons, Norman, Salmon, Jonas, Martin and Moses, settled here at the same time. Danforth Abbott, Hugh Panell, Amos Allen, Elder Phineas Holcomb, Richard Schooley Hull, Thomas, James and Garret Abeel and ___ Thayer, were early settlers.
Stephen Luddington kept the first inn, Outhout & Vrooman the first store, and Isaac Freeman built the first grist mill, in 1795.
Mr. Cleland settled near Andrustown, and near the ruins of a dwelling he found the bones of a man, which he buried. These were supposed to be the bones of a Mr. Bellinger, who escaped to his house when the settlement was burned by the Tories and Indians during the Revolution, and preferred to meet death by burning in his dwelling rather than fall into the hands of the Indians, to suffer captivity, torture and death at their hands, as did many of the early settlers of Herkimer County.
Elder Phineas Holcomb was the first settled minister about 1793. A Baptist Church was organized at Jordanville in 1799; a Methodist Church at Little Lakes in 1854, and a Reformed Church in the north part in 1831.
The population of the town in 1865 was 1,611; its area is 23,405 acres.
Source: "Boyd's New York State Directory, 1872-3," business directory and
gazetteer, by Andrew Boyd, Syracuse, N.Y., 1872
Crain's Corners, Herkimer Co.
Brandeau & Young, wagon makers
Jordanville, Herkimer Co.
Bell G. L. country store
Belshan Polly, miller
Dawley Orison, blacksmith
Lewis John, shoes
Lyman Frederick, grocer
Miller A. physician
Starkweather Ira, painter
Little Lake, Herk'r Co.
Tunnicliff D. A. country store
Warren, Herkimer Co.
Conklin H. Mrs. milliner
Crim Chester, shoemaker and grocer
Eckler Philip, grocer
Ellis Thomas, wagon maker
Regarding The Town of Warren:
From" "Richfield Springs and Vicinity," by W. T. Bailey, published 1874.
Two miles directly east from Richfield Springs. To the left of the highway, is
the elegant stone mansion known as "Maplewood", the home of Mr. Frank White and family, late of Albany,
N. Y. This large and rich estate lies at the base of "Waiontha" Mountain, and is bounded on the north
by one of the "Waiontha" lakes. The mansion is surrounded by a vigorous growth of young maples, and other
forest-trees; and is one of the most pleasantly located residences in this section of the country.
(By my calculation, this places "Maplewood" in the town of Warren, Herkimer County. In fact I believe
that the house still stands. There is a large stone house set back from US Rt. 20 on the north side
and until a few years ago it had a large pond on each side of the driveway leading to the property.
The house appears to be nearly square with a large porch embracing it on three sides. The front yard in
forested with large old Maple trees. - Steven Knight, September 24, 2003)