Our County and Its People
A Descriptive Work On Oneida County, N.Y.
By Daniel E. Wager, 1896

Family Sketches of Herkimer County, N.Y.

If the Surname has connections to both Montgomery and Herkimer County, NY, then they are listed for each county.

MAINE, AUGUST, was born June 20, 1848, in Hannover, Germany, and came to America in 1864 settling first in Baltimore, Md., where he remained three years, being for a time assistant in the Annapolis Army Hospital during the latter part of the Civil war where he obtained his first experience in medicine and surgery. In 1867 after letters patent had been granted to H. and F. Marx, his uncles, for the manufacturing of wood pulp, he associated himself with them, and became their representative in various parts of the country, finally settling in Utica in 1871. Here he engaged in the book business which he successfully continued for about five years. He then read medicine under the late Dr. Joseph D. Kellner, and continued five years longer with the late firm of Dr. W. Sawens & Co., druggists, and after examination started a drug store in Ilion, N.Y., but four years later returned to Utica and started a drug store on Columbia Square, West Utica, which he has since continued. He is a member of Utica Lodge No. 47, F. & A. M., the American and New York State Pharmaceutical Association, the Utica Maennerchor, the German Sick Aid Society, the German Order of Harugarri, the Utica German Rifles and other organizations. In 1875 he married Anna, daughter of the late Joseph D. Kellner of Utica. (p. 229-230)*

MAXFIELD, ROUSE B., son of Rufus G. and Mehitable (Bennett) Maxfield, was born in the town of Ohio, Herkimer county, June 29, 1847, and received his education in the district schools and under the tutelege of his father, who was well versed in the sciences. Oct. 27, 1862, he enlisted in Co. E, 97th N.Y. Vols., joining the same company in which his brother David E. had been fatally wounded at Antietam. He served until his discharge on June 15, 1865, participating in the first and second battles of Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville, and Gettysburg, where he was severely wounded in the right arm and taken prisoner. He lay in the enemy's lines during the second and third days' fight and until they retreated, and then remained with his regiment until the close of the war, being present at Hatcher's Run, Petersburg, Five Forks, and Appomattox. Returning home he resumed his studies for one year and then began teaching district school, which he continued winters until 1875. In 1875-77 he taught the Union school at Taberg, N.Y., where he served as justice of the peace. In 1882 he was clerk of the Board of Supervisors of Oneida county, and in 1883 became a traveling salesman. His old wound broke out at this time and on Dec.1, 1883, his right arm was amputated, which incapacitated him for two years. In 1885 he was again clerk of the Board of Supervisors and on Jan. 1, 1886, he entered the county clerk's office under M. Jesse Brayton. Here he remained until Jan. 1, 1892, when he became county clerk, having been elected in the preceding November on the Republican ticket. Jan. 1, 1895, he engaged in his present business as pension attorney. He has been a notary public since about 1880, and is a member and past commander of Post Bacon, No. 53, G.A.R., and for several years its quarter-master. He is also a member and past grand of Skenandoa Lodge, No. 95, I.O.O.F., a member and chief patriarch of Tri-Mount Encampment, and a member of Utica Lodge K. of H., Excelsior Council, K.P., Imperial Council R.A., and the Arcanum Club. He is an enthusiastic sportsman, a great lover of the rod and gun, and a public spirited citizen. Dec. 25, 1875, he married Ella M., daughter of David Moyer, of Taberg, N.Y., and they have had two children: Grace M. and Bessie M. (who died aged seven years.) (p. 374)*

MILLER, PHILIP, was born in Columbia, Herkimer county, N.Y., June 6, 1825, son of William J. and Nancy (Haner) Miller. The occupation of his life has been farming; but he spent four years as a mechanic, and taught school during the winters for twelve years. In 1865 he settled on his present farm in the town of Paris. He first married Phoebe Buck, of Vermont, who died leaving one son, Clifton Park Miller; and he married for his present wife, Phoebe E. Campbell, by whom he has three children: John, Mary, and William. In politics Mr. Miller is a Republican, and has taken an active interest in the success of his party. He has been assessor of the town of Paris for seventeen years, and has just entered upon another term of three years and was a member of the Board of Equalization of Oneida county four years. He is regarded as one of the leading men of the town. (p. 118)*

MILLS, E. DELOSS, was born in the town of Kirkland, Oneida County, N.Y., July 8, 1844. He was a son of Andrew and Marilla (Wetmore) Mills, both natives of Oneida county. Andrew Mills came to Oneida county in 1802, being one of the pioneers in the town of Kirkland. Mr. Mills at once engaged in agriculture, in which pursuit he devoted his life, accumulating considerably property as a result of his industry and energy. E. Delos Mills was one of a family of four children, namely: Charlotte L., Andrew W., Harriet and the subject of this sketch. Harriet died some years ago. Mr. Mills spent his early life on the farm and there acquired an extensive experience in hop culture, which he has since turned to account in a business way. Since 1877 he has been engaged in hop buying, carrying on a large business. He received his business education at the Utica Business College, and that together with his practical experience has enabled him to conduct a successful business. Outside of business affairs Mr. Mills is especially active in the Masonic fraternity, having been honored by that body with many important offices. He was made a mason in 1867 and was chosen master of Clinton Lodge in 1876 and 1877; again in 1889, 1890 and 1891. In 1895 he was again elected and is still serving in that capacity. He is also a member of Oneida Chapter R.A.M., No. 57 of Utica, and of the Rome Commandery No. 45 K. T. Mr. Mills married Louisa, daughter of William Jones, of Newville, Herkimer county. They reside in Clinton. (p. 112)*

MOREHOUSE, HON. GEORGE C., was born in Fairfield, Herkimer county, N.Y., May 14, 1846. His father, James L., a teacher, died in Oswego county in 1860; the death of his mother, Emeline Crane, a teacher of music in the old Fairfield Seminary, occurred in Herkimer county in 1888. Judge Morehouse was educated in the public schools of Brooklyn, where his parents lived several years. He also attended Falley Seminary in Fulton and the State Normal School at Oswego, and was graduated as B. S. from Cornell University in 1873. In 1874 he came to Utica and read law with Hon. William J. Bacon and H. P. MacKoon, later with Hon. William B. Sutton, and in 1875 received the degree of LL.B. from Hamilton College, being admitted to the bar at Clinton in May of that year. He began the practice of his profession in Utica as managing clerk for Mr. Sutton, and in 1876-77 became his partner under the firm name of Sutton & Morehouse. This continued until 1885-86, when the partnership was dissolved. Judge Morehouse practiced alone until March, 1892, when he was elected city judge which office he held until April 1, 1896. He then resumed the practice of his profession. He has been an active Republican, and served two years as supervisor of the Eleventh ward. He is a member and past master of Oriental Lodge No. 224, F. & A. M., a member and a trustee of Oneida Chapter No. 57, R. A. M., and a member of Utica Commandery No. 3, K. T., and the Scottish Rite bodies, 3d degree, Northern jurisdiction. He is also a member of Fort Schuyler Council, R. A., and Oneida Lodge No. 70, I. O. O. F. In 1877 he married Eugenia M., daughter of Henry Miller, of Trenton, N. Y., who died in 1879. In 1888 he married Mary, daughter of Charles Breen, of Trenton, and they have three sons, Lawrence, Merwin and Russell. (p. 244-245)*

MOSHIER, WILLIAM B., was born in Martinsburg, Lewis county, in 1856, and is a son of John G., a farmer. His brother, Charles, was born in the town of Russia, Herkimer county, July 15, 1853. In 1877 the two started in business selling tea on the road. In January, 1878, they established a general store in Salisbury, Herkimer county, and continued there until 1882, the firm being Moshier Brothers. Thence they came to Utica and formed their present business which consists of wholesale teas, coffees, spices and flavoring extracts, and baking powder. Their trade extends through New York and New England and the West. Mr. Moshier is a 32d degree Mason. (p. 345)*

NOLTON, CHARLES F., was born on the farm where he now resides, September 14, 1847, son of Daniel and Angeline Nolton, who came from Fairfield, Herkimer county, N. Y., about 1834. Daniel Nolton married Catherine Burrill, by whom he had six children: Henry, Mary, Catherine, George, Daniel and Jennie. He married for his second wife, Angeline H. Fox, by whom he had three children: Clara, Julia and Charles F., also one adopted child, Robert C. Mr. Nolton was a public spirited man and contributed liberally to education. He donated the bell on the chapel of Hamilton College, and was also a worker and liberal supporter of the church. Charles F. married Mary, daughter of John Pattingill, by whom he had two children: Frank P. and Julia. His second wife was Mary, daughter of Christian Nieman. He is a member and trustee of the Holland Patent church, and is also actively interested in educational affairs. His son Frank is now attending Hamilton College, at Clinton, N.Y. (p. 217)*

PADDOCK, DANIEL, was born in the town of Steuben, Oneida county, N.Y., February 20, 1834, son of James Paddock, who was born in the town of Western April 12, 1804. James Paddock was a farmer and always resided in the towns of Steuben and Western. He married Susan Edick, of Herkimer county, N.Y., by whom he had ten children: James H., Mary A., Daniel, Loleyann, Joseph, David, George, Philo, Susan, and Nettie. Daniel Paddock was educated in the town of Steuben, then engaged in farming, now owning a farm of eighty acres of mostly improved land and has a small dairy. Mr. Paddock married Maria, daughter of Uriah Fitch, of Steuben, by whom he had three children: Albert, a farmer; Esther, wife of Andrew Balconi; and John E., at home. The family are members of the M. E. church. (p. 62)*

PALMER, E. G., was born at Peterboro, N. H., October 19, 1836, son of Benjamin Palmer, and their paternal lineage traces direct to the Mayflower. E. G. Palmer was educated at Northville and Amsterdam, and his first independent venture in mercantile life was at Little Falls, where he engaged in the hardware business. In 1862 he came to Boonville, continuing the same business for a period of twenty-three years, when he established himself as a florist, at which he has achieved marked success. In 1867 he married Esther Avery of Boonville, descendant of an old New Hampshire family, by whom he has had five children: Burton, Ernest, and Elwin, and also a son and daughter who died in infancy. Mr. Palmer has run the gamut of official life from treasurer and trustee of the village to his present position as supervisor, having been first elected to the latter office in 1890. (p. 177)*

PARSELL, CHARLES D., was born in Western, December 8, 1858, son of Alanson and Mary A. (Bullock) Parsell; the former was born in Ulster county, N.Y., in 1815, and came with his father to Parish, Oswego county, N. Y., in 1824, and the latter in Norway, Herkimer county, N.Y., in 1825. About 1837, Mr. Parsell settled in Western, where he worked at the carpenter and joiner trade until his death, January 31, 1892. He was twice married, and his first wife was Eliza Shott, by whom he had two children: Martha (Mrs. Silas Ball), and Parisade (Mrs. Russell M. Frazer). His second wife was Mary A. Bullock, by whom he had two children, of whom our subject is the only survivor. Charles D. was reared in Western, and educated in the common schools, Rome Academy and Holland Patent High School. For seventeen winters, he taught school and worked at the carpenter trade with his father in the summer, and since 1882, has been engaged in the manufacture of cheese, averaging about 100,000 lbs. annually. November 22, 1882, he married Lizzie A., daughter of Owen D. and Eleanor (Jones) Jones, of Lee, by whom he has three children: Bessie A., Anson Dudley, and John C. (p. 47)*

PATTEN, DELFORD, was born in the town of Verona, N.Y., in 1828. He was educated in the public schools and Cazenovia Seminary, and has always followed the occupation of farming. February 17, 1878, he married Charlotte A. Stewart, of Oneida, Madison county, and they have one son, Robert B., who is a farmer at home. Mr. Patten's father, Alfred Patten, was born in Manheim, Herkimer county, N.Y., in 1796. He was educated in the schools of his day and was a farmer by occupation. He married Ann Benedict, of Richfield, Otsego county, N.Y., by whom he had four children: Lafayette, Robert, Delford, as above, and Barbara A. He was a colonel in the State militia, and was a soldier in the war of 1812. He died June 6, 1873, and his wife September 5, 1875. Mrs. Patten's father, George Stewart, was born near Blaranathel, Perthshire, Scotland, in 1792, and came to the United States with his parents when twelve years of age, locating in Madison county, N.Y. He married twice, first to Miss Mercy Grose, by whom he had two children: Daniel and Elizabeth. For his second wife he married Jane Stewart, of Johnstown, Fulton county, by whom he had five children: Catherine M., John G., Alexander J., Charlotte A., as above, and Jeanette S. He died November 6, 1875, and his wife November 16, 1889. The ancestry of this family is English, Dutch and Scotch. (p. 111)*

PILLMORE, JOHN, was born in Yorkshire, England, May 14, 1830, a son of William and Sarah (Rowbotham) Pillmore. In 1836 he came to America with his mother, a widow with eight children: George, Jane (Mrs. William Floyd), William, Mary (Mrs. Pardon Macomber), Robert, Thomas, John and Sarah (Mrs. Thomas A. Shirley), who located in Western. John was reared in Western and in 1849 he crossed the plains to California, where he remained eight years successfully engaged in mining. In 1857 he returned home and in 1866 purchased the farm in Western which he still retains, but resides in Rome. In 1860 he married Margaret, daughter of Daniel D. and Mary (Young) VanAlstine, of Danube, Herkimer county, and they have three children: Charles of Western, Fred and Grace of Rome. Mr. & Mrs. Pillmore are members of the Methodist Church. In politics he is Republican. Tradition links the early history of the Pillmores with that of Rev. Joseph Pilmoor, one of two of the first traveling preachers sent to American in 1769 by Rev. John Wesley. (p. 109)*

PRATT, CHARLES A., was born in Verona, N.Y., in 1849. At the age of twelve he went to live with his uncle, N. J. Blackman, and attended the district schools. The early years of his life were devoted to dairy farming on a large scale and he also did a large lumbering business, together with the manufacture of cider and vinegar in company with his uncle. Mr. Pratt now owns the Summit View Stock Farm, where he makes a specialty of breeding the best strains of trotting horses, Among the best ones he has developed are Repetition 2:14 1/4; Bon Homie, 2:17 1/4; Charley Green, 2:19 1/4, etc. Mr. Pratt has held the position of highway commissioner for six years. May 7, 1874, he married Mary L. Beck, formerly of Herkimer, and they have three sons: Jay H., W. Spencer, and Nahum B. Jay H. Pratt is actively engaged in the horse business with his father. Mr. Pratt's father, William, was born in the town of Westmoreland, November 29, 1823. He married twice, first to Sarah M. Blackman, by whom he had three children: one died in infancy, Charles A., and Herbert W. Mr. William Pratt died January 22, 1891, and his wife died February 19, 1864. Mrs. Charles A. Pratt's father, Jacob Beck, was born in Germany, in March, 1830, and was educated in their schools. He came to the United States when eighteen years of age, first locating in Herkimer county. He married Elizabeth Brandenstein, a native of Germany, by whom he had seven children: Mary L., William, Caroline, Oliver, Julia, Frances, and Elizabeth. The family came to the town of Verona in 1854. The family is of English, Scotch and German descent. (p. 101-102)*

PRESCOTT, D.D., was born in the town of New Hartford in 1856, son of Daniel Morgan Prescott. He is the owner of the farm with which the name of Prescott has been identified over one hundred years, and which descended from father to son for many generations. His great-grandfather came here from Connecticut when his grandfather, Oliver Prescott, was but four years of age. The death of his father, Daniel Morgan Prescott, in 1805, removed from the community a beloved and venerable citizen; he held the offices of assessor and collector, and was a member of the Assembly one term, and also held many important positions about the State Capitol--postmaster, sergeant-at-arms, and librarian. He married Lydia M. Bacon, of Litchfield, Herkimer county, by whom he had five sons and one daughter; and she still survives him at the age of sixty-six. D.D. Prescott, following in the footsteps of his father, is a staunch Republican, but not an office holder. He is identified with the Presbyterian church. In 1880 he married Stella Schooley, of Litchfield, by whom he has four children: Fannie S., Walter D., Arthur A., and Eva E. (p. 338)*

RAYHILL, JAMES W., son of Patrick, was born in Albany, N.Y., April 17, 1847, came with his parents to Litchfield, Herkimer county, in 1857, and spent his youth on the farm and attending the public schools, West Winfield Seminary, and Utica Academy. During his academic studies he taught school and read law with Lewis H. Babcock of Utica. He completed his legal education with D. C. Pomeroy & Son and at Hamilton College, and was admitted to the bar at Utica in June 1875. He then formed a copartnership with John D. Griffith, which continued for three years, and since then he has practiced alone, having in recent years the charge of considerable criminal business. He is a member of Imperial Council, No. 70, R. A. In May, 1875, he married Addie M., daughter of Alanson Pattengill, of West Winfield, N.Y., and they have one son living, John Wayland Rayhill. (p. 163)*

REESE, O. W., was born in Herkimer county, N.Y., February 1, 1835, son of Moses and Phoebe (Lewis) Reese. Moses Reese was born in Frankfort, Herkimer county, where he was engaged in farming and building, during his lifetime. He died in Rome, 1880, in his seventy-eighth year. Mrs. Reese, his wife, died in the fall of 1884 in her seventy-fourth year. O. W. Reese was educated in Utica, then went to Schuyler, and from there settled in Westmoreland in the spring of 1860. He married Sarah Parks of Herkimer county, by whom he has seven children: Cora A., Mildred E., Georgiana, Willie O., James L., Clarence E., and Lottie Reese. Mildred E. is married and lives in Redfield, Oswego county. Mr. Reese and family are members of the Baptist church of Westmoreland. (p. 291)*

SANDERS, E. E., was born in Columbia, N.Y., March 25, 1862, son of William and Frances Sanders. He learned the trade of cheese maker when quite young, which he followed for twelve years, and then engaged in farming for five years. In 1891 he purchased the Hibbard House in Bridgewater, which he has since conducted successfully, and is a very popular host. In 1886 he married Bertha M. Eckler, by whom he had one daughter, Hazel. Mr. Sanders is an active and influential Republican, and at present is street commissioner of the village of Bridgewater, and has been delegate to several Republican conventions. (p. 268)*

SAWTELLE, WASHINGTON SEWALL, was born in Sidney, Me., August 3, 1827, son of Major Amaziah and Malinda (Black) Sawtelle, who had eight children: Washington S. married Caroline Amelia, daughter of William T. and Mary(Wright) Fowler, by whom he had six children: Chester W., Vergie, Clarence, Marion, and Mary and Charles A. (deceased). Washington S. attended school at West Point and at seventeen years of age enlisted in the Mexican war, 5th Regiment, Company D, and served one year and five months. He was taken prisoner at Vera Cruz and was confined for five months at Cordoba and Orizaba, when he escaped and joined his regiment. He was one of the fourteen who made the ascent of Mt. Popocatepetl. He first came to Utica in 1850, and in 1856 he published the Mohawk Valley Register at Fort Plain. By profession he is an artist and painter. He is an extensive traveler, having traveled over the United States, Canada, Mexico and Cuba. He made an overland trip to California before there was a railroad to the western country. He is now living a retired life. (p. 90)*

SCOVILL, JAMES VAN HORN, a direct descendant of the early settlers of the town of Paris, was born at Paris, Oneida county, in June, 1834, only child of Isaac Scovill (who was born at Watertown, Conn.) His grandfather, Darius Scovill, came to Paris in 1804. Mr. Scovill received his education at Paris, Clinton, and Cazenovia Seminary. He removed from Paris Hill to New Hartford in 1884, where he purchased about sixty acres of garden land, which he has devoted to dairy productions, also being a breeder of thoroughbred Jersey cattle, from which his place is known as Jersey-Hurst. He was one of the organizers of the American Dairymen's Association, of which he is a valued member. He is vice-president of the Central New York Farmers' Club, and has held that position for many years. He is also a life member of the New York State Agricultural Society. June 1, 1882, he married Miss Annie Dewhurst, eldest daughter of Thomas and Anne Dewhurst, of Graefenburg, Herkimer county, N.Y., formerly of Willowvale, Oneida county, at which place she was born. The result of the union has been six daughters, namely: Jennie Belle, Bessie Murrow, Cornelia Mae, Helen Eliza, Marianne Howard, and Grace Leona. The late Mrs. Jane Scovill, mother of J. V. H. Scovill, was the daughter of the late Thomas Murrow, and a descendant on her mother's side of the Van Horns of New York; she was the last representative of this old and celebrated family, and Mr. Scovill has in his possession a very interesting document consisting of original records of births in the family of Jacobus Van Horn of New York, whose father, John Van Horn, was one of the earliest settlers of New York city, which information may be found in the Colonial History of New York. The manuscript is beautifully written in Dutch and dated 1732. (p. 161)*

SMITH, F.A., was born in the town of Clayton, Jefferson county, July 19, 1834. He learned the trade of blacksmith and wagon builder, and after living a while in Herkimer county and Boonville he came to Waterville. He is one of the trustees of the village and was also highway commissioner for four years. He married Kate Vincent, of Herkimer county, by whom he has five children: William J., F.B., Mrs. William G. Stone, K. Maude, and Ethel B. (p. 315)*

SNELL, IRA L., was born October 5, 1841. In 1869 he came from Stockbridge, first settling on a farm about four miles south of Oneida Castle, and two years later he bought the farm at Kenwood, where he has since resided. His father, Frederick Snell, was born in the town of Manheim, Herkimer county, in 1804, and moved to Stockbridge in 1822, where he lived until his death, which occurred August 29, 1873. He became one of the leading as well as the most successful farmers in the county, and his grandfather, with six brothers, was in the famous battle of Oriskany, and it is said that five of them were killed during the engagement. He married Nancy Stam, also of Herkimer county, who was born in 1811, and died in 1881. Ira L. Snell has for a number of years been an active and earnest worker in the Democratic ranks, and has several times represented his assembly district in the State Convention. He was one of the organizers and is now a director in the Farmers' and Merchants' Bank of Oneida, N.Y. He is also one of the trustees of the Oneida Savings Bank. In 1870 he married Ellen J. Eaten, who was born in Stockbridge in 1845, by whom he has two daughters: S. Edith, and Harriet E. (p. 234)*

SYMONDS, JAMES, was born in Herkimer county, August 1, 1826, son of Francis and Mercy Symonds. Francis Symonds was born in Herkimer county, 1797, and followed the occupation of merchant to the time of his death in 1861. Mrs. Symonds died in 1849. James Symonds came to Whitesboro in 1826. He was educated in Whitesboro, and then started in business, selling merchandise on the banks of the Erie Canal for forty-eight years. He married Ellen, daughter of Cornelius and Margaret Clark, of Marcy, by whom he had three sons: Albert A., who died at the age of twenty-four; Charles H., who died at the age of twenty-five; and James T., who is now living, at the age of twenty-four, and who is in business with his father, and also engaged in the bicycle business in Whitesboro. Mr. Symonds and wife are members of the Baptist church in Whitestown, of which Mr. Symonds is deacon. He is the earliest established merchant now living, engaged in business in the township of Whitestown. (p. 319)*

TANNER, W. RAY, was born at Fairfield, Herkimer county, N. 23, 1822, son of Alva Tanner. The American ancestors of Mr. Tanner settled in Rhode Island. His paternal great-grandfather, Ebenezer Tanner, was a somewhat celebrated captain in the merchant marine of colonial days. When nineteen years of age Mr. Tanner engaged in the manufacture of carriages, first locating at Fairfield, jobbing at various points, Middleville, Lee, etc., until 1852 when he settled in Utica, but, owing to failing health, returned to Fairfield and in 1857, located permanently at Boonville in partnership with E. G. Wooley. This firm did a large business until Mr. Wooley's death in 1891, when Mr. Tanner disposed of his interest in December, 1892, and now lives a retired life. (p. 30)*

THOMAS, CHARLES H., was born on the farm where he now resides, April 17, 1840, son of Stephen and Lucy (Goodell) Thomas. He was born in the first frame house in this part of the country. His mother's family belonged to Montgomery county, N.Y. His father's family were Quakers, and moved from Dutchess county to Herkimer county when Stephen was twelve years of age. There were two brothers, Henry, of Lone Rock, Wis., and the late Dr. D. G. Thomas of Utica, and one sister who married Capt. Holcomb of Litchfield. About 1830 Stephen became connected with Frankfort Iron Works, being superintendent first, and afterwards, as agent, he traveled all over the State. In 1834 he came to Paris and bought a farm of eighty acres, adding to it until it contained over two hundred acres. He was one of the first to put up a cheese factory in this section, where his son Charles was cheesemaker for some years. He was an energetic, progressive and successful farmer, and was one of the men who rendered efficient aid in putting through the Utica, Chenango and Susquehanna Valley (now D. L. & W.) railroad, being one of the commissioners until his health failed. Both parents died at the age of eighty-seven years, leaving two sons, C. H., and W. J. Thomas of Westmoreland. In 1867 Charles H. Thomas married Frances L. Knight, daughter of Jeremiah Knight, M. D., also of Quaker family, coming from Providence, R. I. He was a well known physician of the town of Paris, also supervisor, and superintendent of schools. Her mother, Lucia (Marsh) Knight, was a lineal descendant of Anne Webster, daughter of Gov. John Webster, and John Marsh, both of whose names are to be found on a fine shaft, erected to the memory of the first settlers in Hartford, Conn. Other members of the family were, later on, first settlers of Hadley, Mass., New Hartford, Conn., and still later of Whitesboro and New Hartford, Oneida county, N.Y. These families were both represented in the wars of 1776, 1812, and the war of the Rebellion. Sergt. Robert Knight and Dr. Arthur Knight, of Sauquoit, served three years in the Union army. The old militia commissions of Capt. Nehemiah Knight, jr., rank of Colonel, "Cranston Blues, R. I." dated 1802, signed by "Gov. Arthur Fenner, Commander in Chief of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations;" countersigned by "N. Knight, Senator," also the commission of "Lieut. Jeremiah Knight, 140th N.Y. Infantry," signed by De Witt Clinton are still in the possession of the family. Charles and Frances Thomas have three sons: Jeremiah K. of Binghamton, Stephen G., and Irving H., still on the farm. (p. 150-151)*

THOMAS, W. J., was born in Herkimer county, N.Y., August 6, 1829, son of Stephen and Lucy (Goodell) Thomas. Stephen Thomas was born in Dutchess county, and Lucy, his wife, was born in Montgomery county. Stephen Thomas was employed in Utica in his early days, and after that engaged in farming, which he followed to the time of his death at the age of seventy-seven. Mrs. Thomas also died at the age of seventy-seven. W. J. Thomas was educated at the district school at Paris, then assisted his father at farming, until he bought a farm of his own. Mr. Thomas settled in Westmoreland on his present homestead in 1866. He married Sarah Seymour, of Westmoreland, by whom he has three children: Elisha Goodell Thomas, Caroline and Mary Thomas. All the children are members of the Methodist church. (p. 191)*

TUTTLE, FRANK J.--Salmon Tuttle was born in the town of Camden, Oneida county, N.Y., August 12, 1815. He was educated in the common and select schools, and has since been engaged on the canal and in lumbering and farming. He has been married twice, first in December, 1843, to Emily Page, of New London, and they had one son, Albert G. Mrs. Tuttle died July 8, 1845, and July 1, 1847, he married Sarah A. Bailey, of the town of Vienna, by whom he had four children: Flormond B., Zopher J., Volsey B., who died in infancy, and Frank J. Mr. Tuttle's father, Zopher Tuttle, was born in Connecticut, February 4, 1776, and came to the town of Salisbury, Herkimer county, when a young man. He married Betsey B. Beasley, formerly of Connecticut, by whom he had six children: Hannah, Polly, James, Delight, Salmon, as above, and Zopher. The great-grandfather of Frank J., Daniel Tuttle, was a soldier in the Revolutionary war. Salmon Tuttle has resided on the homestead sixty years. Frank J. Tuttle was born on the homestead June 13, 1861, and was educated in the public schools, and has since been engaged in farming and speculating. He married Flora E. Kent, of Leyden, Lewis county, by whom he had one daughter, Laura K. Mrs. Tuttle's father, Phineas Kent, was born in Leyden, May 22, 1826, and was educated in the schools of that time. He married Maria Smith, of the town of Lee, by whom he had five children: Flora E., as above, Nellie S., Lena B., Hattie M., and Grace A. The ancestry of the family is of New England stock, of English extraction. (p. 135)*

UNDERWOOD, FREDERICK G., was born in Utica, N.Y., September 15, 1852, and was educated in the public and advanced schools of Utica. He was a carpenter and joiner in early life. He has been married three times, first to Hattie L. Jones, by whom he had two children: Ralph W., who died in his second year, and Mabel L., who resides at home. For his second wife he married Estella C. Marsh, of Herkimer county, N.Y. She died October 29, 1888, and for his third wife he married Jennie W. Myers, of Utica, by whom he had one son, Stanley. Mr. Underwood's father, Gilbert F., was born in Utica, N. Y., about 1823. He was well educated, and had various occupations, merchant, farmer, etc. He married Eliza A. Thurston, of Herkimer county, by whom he had three children: Frederick G., as above; William L., and Flora A. He died about 1880, and his wife in 1881. Mr. Underwood came to Oneida in 1884, and is now a resident of the town of Verona. He is a dealer in hides, pelts, skins, tallow, bones, and also carries on a general rendering establishment and manufacture of fertilizers. He is a member of Oneida Lodge, No. 270, F. & A. M., of Eumenia Lodge, No. 296, I. 0. 0. F., and has held all the offices except treasurer and secretary, and is also one of the trustees He is a member of Adieno Encampment 115, of which he is degree master, and has passed through all the chairs; also a member of Canton Oneida No.34, and is major of 2d Battalion, lst Regiment. He is a member of Mizpah Lodge, D. of R., No. 84, and president of the National Protective Legion, No. 72. (p. 118-119)*

VAN HORNE, NICHOLAS, was born in the town of Stark, Herkimer county, N.Y., April 14, 1854, son of Walter and Eliza Van Horne, who are residents of Herkimer county, N.Y., He married Ida Countryman of Poland, Herkimer, N.Y., December 18, 1878, daughter of John I and Elizabeth Countryman, and they have two children: Leda E., and Victor C. Van Horne. He first engaged in the cheese business in Salisbury Corners, Herkimer county, N.Y. in 1876; has since worked at Van Hornesville and the town of Ohio, Herkimer county, and in the town of Avoca, Steuben county, N.Y., and located permanently at North Bay, town of Vienna, Oneida county, N.Y. in 1880, buying the cheese factory at that place in 1881, and has for the last twelve years been salesman and treasurer of the factory and in 1883 was elected collector of the town on the Republican ticket of which party he belongs, and for the last four years has bought cheese for the export trade, and on May 10, 1895, he passed the Civil Service examination at Albany and on July 15, 1895 was appointed milk expert and agent of the agricultural department and he is a member of Vienna Lodge No. 440, F. & A. M. (p. 32)*

VAN SLYKE, JOHN P., was born in Herkimer county, August 29, 1843. His father, Emanual Van Slyke, was born in 1814, and was a farmer. He came to Westmoreland from Clinton in 1859. He married Catherine Helmer, by whom he had four sons: Emanual, Gladden, Sidney and John P., who was educated in the district schools of Herkimer and Clinton, and is now one of the best known farmers of Westmoreland. (p. 291)*

VAN WAGENEN, LEWIS B., was born in Lee, Oneida county, November 3, 1829, a son of Wessel B. and Lucy (Husted) Van Wagenen. His paternal grandfather, James Van Wagenen, a native of Johnstown, N.Y., settled with his family in the town of Lee in 1815. He was a blacksmith by trade, making edge tools, scythes, etc., for the pioneers. In later life he removed to Oil Creek, Pa., where died. His paternal grandfather, Peter Husted, was a pioneer of Lee and Western, who died on the farm in Western now occupied by our subject. Wessel B. Van Wagenen, father of Lewis B., was born in Johnstown, N.Y., July 9, 1802, came to Lee with his parents in 1815, and with the exception of ten years spent in Chautauqua county, N.Y., has always resided in Oneida county, has lived in Camden twenty years, and has always followed farming as an occupation. In early life he was captain of the militia in the town of Lee for many years. Lewis B. Van Wagenen was reared in Lee and educated in the common and select schools. He has been more or less engaged in farming all his life, and since 1877 has been engaged as agent of the Farmers' Fire and Lightning Insurance Co., of Oneida, N.Y., of which he and the late Israel White, of Western, were the founders, and which has been a success from the start. January 18, 1859, Mr. Van Wagenen married Ann, daughter of Thomas McMullen, of Western, by whom he has six children: Leonora, Edwin, Grant, Julia, Herbert, and Edith. (p. 164-165)*

WAGNER, EDWARD G., was born in Montgomery county, February 11, 1848, the oldest son of Edward and Alida E. (Gray) Wagner. Both of his parents were descendants of old Mohawk Valley families; his father was descended from John Peter Wagner in 1709, and whose only son, Lieut. -Col. John Peter Wagner, was a distinguished officer in the Revolutionary war; he was in the battle of Oriskany, and after the wounding of General Herkimer is said to have assumed command of the troops and completed that important victory, which was at the time almost assured; several of his sons were engaged with him, and his son John was the grandfather of Edward Wagner, who was born in Montgomery county in 1819, and died in Whitesboro in 1886. Mrs. Wagner died in 1882; she was also a descendant of an officer engaged in the battle of Oriskany. Edward G. Wagner was educated at Whitestown Seminary, and located in Whitestown in 1867, where his father had purchased a large farm, situated near the centre of the village. This he now conducts with his brother Henry, entirely on business methods, and they are recognized as the representative farmers of Whitestown. He has several times been president of the village of Whitesboro, is a staunch Republican and takes an active interest in the success of his party. He married Ida L., daughter of Jonathan Barnes of Fairfield, Herkimer county. Mr. and Mrs. Wagner are both members of the Episcopal church of Whitesboro. (p. 205)*

WALLACE, JOSEPH FRANKLIN, was born in Lee, Oneida county, May 21, 1850, son of John D. and Ann (Countryman) Wallace. His paternal grandparents, John and Catherine Wallace, were natives of Germany, who came to America in 1826, settling in Verona, Oneida county, later removed to Lee, where they died, the former living to 112 years of age. The maternal grandparents, John and Ann (Eygabroad) Countryman, were natives of Herkimer county, N.Y., and pioneers of Lee. John D. Wallace, father of Joseph Franklin, was born in Alsace, Germany, in 1819, and came to this country with his parents in 1826, and on reaching manhood engaged in farming, which business he followed until his death, which occurred in 1880, aged sixty-one years. Joseph Franklin was reared in Lee, educated in the common schools, and his principal occupation has been farming, though he has been more or less engaged in buying and selling stock, Canadian horses, and real estate. As a farmer he has been very successful, and at present is the owner of the old homestead, as well as the farm on which he resides. November 7, 1872, he married Sarah Ann, daughter of Robert and Ann (Thomas) Thomas, of Ava, Oneida county, by whom he has three children living: Mary E., Florence E., and Joseph J. Mr. Wallace is a charter member of P. of I., No. 320, of Lee, and its first president. In politics he is a Democrat, and has been once appointed and twice elected to the office of justice of the peace for Lee. (p. 172)*

WALTERS, JAMES N., was born in Russia, Herkimer county, November 27, 1824, son of William and Fannie Walters, whose children were: James N., David A., Susan Smith (deceased), Celia Newman, William W., and Irwin M., all natives of Herkimer county. James N. married Mary E., daughter of Frederick E. Kiesinger, of Oswego, by whom he has two children: William J., of Guthrie, O. T., and Charles F. of Prospect, N.Y. James N. started for himself as a millwright in Pearl Mills of Oswego in 1847. In 1848 he built the lumber mills of Hinkley and Ballou at Hinkley, N.Y. and at its completion assumed the position of superintendent, which position he held until 1890, since which time he has lived retired at Prospect, N.Y. He is actively interested in the town and county affairs, has held the office of postmaster many years, and was elected supervisor of Russia, Herkimer county, in 1866, 1867, 1868 and 1869. (p. 35)*

WHITER, ANDREW J., was born near Oneida Lake, in the town of Vienna, Oneida County, N.Y., February 9, 1837. When about fourteen years of age, 1851, he with his two brothers, Abram and Hiram, together with their parents, Meltiah and Lydia Whiter, removed to Hawkinsville, Oneida County, N.Y. His father was then employed in a saw mill owned and operated by the late Benjamin Kipp; while thus employed he had the misfortune to have his right hand and arm terribly mangled with a saw, which resulted in his death in about six years afterward. During this time and thereafter the support of the family was furnished Mr. Whiter and his younger brother, Hiram. In the year 1859, he purchased a farm of 110 acres one mile east of Hawkinsville, in the town of Boonville, N. Y. September 10, 1860, he was married to Miss Ellen J. Johnson, daughter of Elijah and Cyntha Johnson, who was born August 3, 1841, at Frankfort Hill, Herkimer county, N. Y., at which place she resided until the time of her marriage. Three children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Whiter, namely; Albert C., Frank W., Alice E., all of whom are now living. Mr. Whiter was a canal boatman by occupation until the year 1865, at which time he retired to his farm where he has since resided, devoting his time to the best interest of his home and his surroundings. In politics he is a Democrat, much interested in the public welfare. He was appointed several times as inspector of election. Also he was a Democratic nominee for assessor and highway commissioner at different times. Mr. Whiter is widely known and esteemed by all. (p. 43)*

WILSON, BENJAMIN F. was born in the town of Newport, Herkimer county, N.Y., November 11, 1819. He was educated in the common schools and has always been a farmer. He came with his brother George to the town of Westmoreland in 1841, and March 7, 1849, he married Susan F. Brewster, of the town of Verona, by whom he had eight children: Emma J., George B., Alice C., James H., Frank B., Herbert E., Julia C., and Seymour E. Emma J. married William H. Soper, and they have two children: Alice L. and Willard P. George B. married Anna Maycock, and they have three children: Minnie, George H. and Henry B. Alice C. married William Brewster, and they have two daughters: Maud and Susan. James H. married Lulu Palmer, of Verona village, and they have seven children: Benjamin W., William, Dwight, George, Hubert, Nellie, and Irving. Frank R. married Emma Soper. Herbert J. married Emma Youngs, and they had two daughters: Susan and Flora. He died January 2, 1891. Julia C. married H. Wylie Adams, and they have two children: Henry and Ruth. Seymour E. married Ellen J. Huminston, and they have one daughter, Florence V. Mrs. Wilson died September 1, 1890. Mr. Wilson's father, John Wilson, was born in the town of Thompson, Conn., September 16, 1780, and was educated in the schools of his day. He married Sarah Wheaten, who was born July 12, 1782, in Swansea, Conn. They had twelve children: Lyman, Nancy A., Simon W., Sally, Ruth, Harriet, John, George, Benjamin, who died in infancy, Benjamin F., as above, Lanard K., and Samuel S. Mr. Wilson died December 16, 1873. Mr. Wilson's grandfather, John Wilson, was a soldier in the Revolutionary war. (p. 99-100)*

WITHERSTINE, WILLARD, was born in the town of Steuben, N.Y., in 1843, son of William, who was born in Herkimer county in 1820. He was a son of John Witherstine, whose father, John, was a native of Germany, and a soldier in the Revolutionary war. John jr. was a farmer by occupation, and came to Steuben in 1828, settling in a forest, where he later cleared a farm. He married Catherine Harter, by whom he had nine sons and three daughters. He lived to the age of ninety-two years and seven months, and died in 1863. His wife died at the age of sixty-three. William Witherstine has always been engaged in farming in the town of Steuben, where he now lives. In 1841, he married Catherine, daughter of Platt Weed, of Steuben, by whom he has had three children: Matilda (deceased), Willard, and Lavina, wife of Oscar Hall, of Egypt, N.Y. Willard Witherstine was educated at the common schools and Rome Academy, and at eighteen years of age he began to teach school, and also engaged in farming. In 1866, he purchased his first farm of fifty acres, to which he has added 150 acres, and he is principally engaged in dairy farming. In 1866, he married Clarinda Stannard, by whom he had four children: Minnie (deceased), Winnie (deceased), Frank and Edith. (p. 67)*

WOOD, MRS. PERMELIA I., is the widow of Horace Wood, who died in Deerfield, in 1868, son of Calvin and Sarah Wood of West Schuyler, Herkimer county. Mrs. Wood is the daughter of Franklin (a native of Massachusetts) and Phoebe (Brown) Whitney, a native of Connecticut. Her grandfather was a pioneer of Herkimer county, and was a soldier in the Revolutionary war. Franklin Whitney came to Deerfield in pioneer days, where he cleared a home. He kept a tavern on the farm now owned by Mrs. Wood, and also owned a large tract of land and was engaged in farming. Mr. and Mrs. Wood had four children: Julia, who died June 9, 1895; Murray, a butcher at Schuyler, N.Y.; Horace, a farmer of White Hall, Ill.; and Charles, who conducts the home farm, and has a dairy of twenty cows. Franklin Whitney was a captain in the war of 1812, and died in 1845. (p. 98-99)*

We thank you in advance for directing ALL requests for information about persons listed to the local historical societies and libraries, not to the site coordinators.

Return to Part 1

Back to Holiday Extravaganza 2003

Back to Meet Your Ancestors Section

Back to Herkimer/Montgomery Counties NYGenWeb

Back to New York State GenWeb

Created: 12/15/03
Copyright © 2003 Laura Perkins
All Rights Reserved.