The hamlet of Cedarville is situated at the juncture of 3 towns in Herkimer county: Litchfield, Columbia and Winfield.
Source: "The History of Sauk County, Wisconsin", published by Western Historical Co., Chicago, 1880
A. M. DYE, proprietor of jewelry store, Spring Green; was born in Cedarville, Herkimer Co., N. Y., March 17, 1840. During the war of the rebellion, he served in Co. B, 121st N. Y. V. I., and participated in the battles of Rappahannock Station, Mine Run and Gettysburg, was wounded at the battle of the Wilderness, served three years and was honorably discharged. He was married, in Herkimer County, to Miss Ettie Ellsworth; they have one child - Leon, born in Cedarville, N. Y.; in 1877, they came to Wisconsin and located in Spring Green; Mr. Dye has been engaged in the jewelry business for over nineteen years, and is an excellent workman; he keeps a full line of jewelry, watches, clocks, etc. He takes an active interest in matters pertaining to the advancement of all the local interests of Spring Green.
Source: "History of Herkimer County, New York," by George Anson Hardin, 1893, under the Town of Columbia.
Cedarville. - This is a hamlet in the western part of the town and at the junction of the lines of the three towns of Winfield, Litchfield and Columbia. While a considerable portion of the little village is in Litchfield, the post-office is now in the town of Columbia, and the history of the village may as well be given here. The first settler at this point was Henry Devendorf, who came in 1803. The first store was established in 1823 by John and Thurston Mabbitt, and in the same year the post-office was opened. Henry Devendorf kept the first tavern about 1810. The tannery that was conducted here for many years was begun by William Horsford in 1824, who operated it for thirty years. Its last owners were Hon. Ezra D. Beckwith and Hiteman Brothers, who gave it up about eight years ago and located at West Winfield; the tannery is now going to decay. The hotel now kept by J. J. Thorp was built by A. L. Fish about the time of the establishment of the post office. F. E. Stephens now has the principal store and is postmaster and supervisor, succeeding D. L. W. Kibby in the former ofifice in June, 1889. Mr. Kibby kept a store here about twenty years. The second hotel is kept, and has been for twelve years, by Monroe Wilkinson. The store now kept by H. G. Knight was occupied before him by Irving Maxwell and Benjamin Davis. Lyman Woodart was a wagonmaker here for many years, and his sons now carry on the business. W. E. Meacham has a harness shop and W. H. Rhoda a tin shop.
The Methodist Episcopal church at Cedarville was organized in 1862, under the corporate name of the McKenzie Chapel. The deed of a lot was given by Henry Devendorf on which to build a chapel. The first church was erected about 1826, at a cost of $1,500. The society became extinct, and in 1870 the building was removed and fitted for a public hall.
The Universalist church at Cedarville was organized October 27, 1829, and Rev. Orrin Roberts became the first pastor in 1830. Among those who have at various periods preached here are Revs. T. J. Smith, Mr. Belden, Dr. Smith, J. H. Tuttle, E. M. Wooley, L. C. Brown, Mr. Paine, W. H. Grigsby, D. Ballon, L Rice, L. G. Powers, and O. B. Beals. The present pastor is Rev. C. H. Vail, who preaches also at Bridgewater. The first church edifice was erected in 1830 at a cost of $2,500; it was dedicated in the following year. In 1872 the building was remodeled at an expense of more than $5,000, and an organ costing $1,000 has since been added. The society has been uniformly prosperous and shown energetic activity from its beginning.
Trustees are elected for one, two, and three years. Tlieir names are as follow : For one year, F. B. Stephens, D. A. Angell, and A. E. Seckner; for two years, Chauncey Mathews, Jacob W. Miller, and Bernard Crim ; for three years, C. J. Wheeler, E. B. Holcomb, and William Miller.
Source: "Boyd's New York State Directory, 1872-3," business directory and gazetteer, by Andrew Boyd, Syracuse, N.Y., 1872
In the town of Columbia.
Ashpall James, manuf. cheese
Last Updated: 9/30/17
Copyright ©2000 - 2017 Herkimer County NYGenWeb
All Rights Reserved.
This page is part of Herkimer County NYGenWeb, part of NYGenWeb, and proud to be part of the USGenWeb Project.