JEREMIAH & ORPHA DECKER LANDT
From Danube, NY to Freedom, IL
Contributed by Lisa Slaski
Transcribed by Joanne Murray
JEREMIAH LANDT. It would seem to the ordinary individual that the man who is comfortably supplied
with this world's goods, has a pleasant home and a charming family, and the highest respect of his
neighbors and fellow-citizens, should be measurably content. With these good things the subject of
this sketch seems to be surrounded, and, judging from his character and demeanor, he is duly thankful
for the manner in which Providence has provided for him, or at least smiled upon his labors and
efforts. We find him pleasantly located on section 2, in Freedom Township, where he has 160 acres of
thoroughly cultivated land, with neat and substantial buildings, the residence being especially
tasteful and attractive; a view of which, with its surroundings, is given on an adjoining page.
Stock-raising enters largely into his farm operations, he keeping excellent grades of cattle, horses, and swine.
The native place of our subject was Danube, Herkimer Co., N. Y., where he first opened his eyes to
the light April 13, 1839. His father was Jeremiah Landt, Sr., also a native of the Empire State,
and who married Miss Eliza Ostrander, a native of the same state. After uniting their hearts and
fortunes, the parents settled contentedly down in Herkimer County, where they lived until the death
of the father, which occurred about 1854, when he was sixty years old. The mother later removed West
across the Mississippi into Cedar County, Iowa, where her death took place about 1880. Their family
consisted of seven sons and two daughters, all of whom lived to mature years. Six of these are now living.
The boyhood and youth of Mr. Landt was spent in his native county engaged in farm pursuits, and
acquiring a common-school education. On the 21st of January, 1863, he was united in marriage with
Miss Orpha C. Decker, and remained in his native county thereafter until February, 1865. In that
same year he made his way westward, coming to this county and settling in Freedom Township, where
he has since lived. Five children have been born of this union, namely: Edith M., Edwin C., John
Randolph, Mabel E., and Frederick N.
Mr. Landt readily adapted himself to the change from the Empire State to Illinois, and in his
cultivation of the prairie-soil has met with uniform success. At the same time he has taken a
genuine interest in the growth and development of his adopted county, and has aided in the
advancement of his township as opportunity presented itself. He is especially interested in
educational matters, believing in the establishment and maintenance of the public schools, has
served as Trustee of his district, and with his excellent wife has superintended the training of
his children with affectionate and fatherly interest. Politically, he is a sound Republican,
but has preferred to leave the responsibilities of office to other men, simply serving as Road
Commissioner, and aiding his neighbors in carrying out the various worthy projects for the welfare
of the community at large.
Mrs. Orpha C. Landt was born in Danube, Herkimer Co., N. Y., July 28, 1842, and is the daughter of
Alvin and Melissa L. (Vandenburg) Decker, who were also natives of the Empire State. They settled in
Herkimer County after their marriage, and there spent the remainder of their lives. Their family
consisted of eight children; one son and seven daughters - all are now living.
Source: "Portrait and biographical album of Jo Daviess County, Illinois; containing full page portraits and
biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens of the county..." Chicago: Chapman
Brothers, 1889. [Note: Freedom is in Carroll County.]