THE MOWER FAMILY
Contributed by BetteJo Hall-Caldwell
The Mower Family
Ilion Citizen, Friday, December 6, 1903
Conradt Mower came to Schuyler from Schoharie county. He was a soldier
of the war of 1812. He will be remembered for his keen comments and font
of dry humor. His wife, Mary, daughter of Carl Klock of Dutchtown,
looked well to the ways of her household. Her father was an educated man
and in the absence of the pastor sometimes read the sermons of the day
from the sermon book now in the possession of his great grandson, Edgar
J. Klock. Mr. Mower's children were nearly all born at North Schuyler,
about a mile above Uebler's Mill. The family came to Minott in the
thirties; they were respected and industrious. The sons, Philip,
Lawrence, Dr. John and Simon were natural mechanics and skilled
carpenters. The daughters were Elizabeth Smith, Mary Suydam, Katharine
Smith, Rachel who died in 1861, and Sarah Ann, who died young.
Philip Mower was born in 1817. In 1837, at the age of 20, he built for
James Minott the upright part of the present dwelling at "Wildwood." He
married Mary Smith of North Schuyler and settled there on a farm where
their children were born. The oldest daughter, Mrs. Frances Wilcox, is
the second wife of Hiram L. Johnson, son of Alexis L. Johnson. They have
two sons Arthur and Lion. Their daughter Mary married Millard Crossett.
Philip Mower was a prominent man and accumulated property. He and his
third wife were instantly killed by the cars while driving across the
Central railroad at East Schuyler. His son Amasa, who married Ida
Stratton, a school teacher, sister of Prof. George Stratton of Newport
owns and occupies the homestead. Their oldest daughter, Ada, married
David Eaton; Miss Bertha is in the training class at Ilion and the
twins, Elizabeth and George are in school.
Lawrence, the second son of Conradt Mower, was born in 1819. He bought
"Forest Home" and built the present residence in the late forties and
made a home for his people and aged grandmother, Mrs. Elizabeth Mower
Pruyne. He married Elizabeth, daughter of Cornelius Clark of Schuyler,
in 1853; she survives and owns the homestead situated on lower Main
street. Their son Oren is a commercial traveler in California. They have
three daughters, Arletta married Jerry Tallman, they have one daughter,
Idelia; Emma Married Geo. Session of Walesville, they have five sons;
the youngest daughter, Cornelia, married Oscar Johnson of Minott; they
are on "Grand View" farm. Mr. and Mrs. Jerry Tallman occupy and work
"Forest Home." Five generations have lived there, from Mrs. Elizabeth
Mower Pruyne down to her great great granddaughter Idelia Tallman who
also has a Tanner record being its the seventh generation. Her
grandmother, Mrs. Giles Tallman was the daughter of Gardner, youngest
son of Isaac Tanner 1st of Tanner Hill. Miss Idelia, who is in her
teens, is quite a farmer, experimenting with vegetables and seeds. Two
years ago she exhibited a full-blooded calf at the county fair which she had cared for.
Dr. John, third son of Conradt Mower, was born in 1825. He attended the
district school and was a member of the debating society; he was a
student one term at Whitestown seminary. He was rather slow of speech
but strong in argument. It had been announced that he and the late Edwin
H. Minott would speak on a certain evening, and the house was filled to
overflowing. Minott, who was a fluent speaker, made the first speech.
Dr. John arose and in hesitating speech said, "I have obtained the most
of my historical knowledge within these walls." A few who had come for
sport, snickered, and some on the outside jeered. That was just what he
needed to unloosen his tongue and he poured forth such a stream of
argument and eloquent within, he surprised and compelled the admiration
of every one. He was a carpenter and wheel wright, worked summers and
attended school winters. He entered the office of Drs. Varney & Bushnell
in Middleville, in 1848, boarded himself, slept in the office, walked
every Monday morning seven miles carrying, his grip with provisions for
the week and returning Saturday night to his home here. He graduated
early in the winter of 1850 from Albany Medical College. He married
Lydia Ann Jackson, daughter of Jacob Jackson of Jackson avenue,
Dutchtown, in June,1851. He located the same year in Newport. In 1852 he
went to Dugway, Oswego county, on the death of his wife in June, 1853,
he came to West Schuyler were he had signal success, in his practice. He
was a relative of the late L.L. Kane, and was prominent in the
republican party, influential in its councils, was elected school
inspector and appointed postmaster of the place. He raised some valuable
blooded horses of the Golddust and Ethan Allen variety. He went to
Lockport in 1876, to the great regret of all. He was then said to be
worth $10,000. He married his second wife, Mae Bigelow, some time after
leaving West Schuyler, who survives him. She is a capable business
woman and a pleasing lady to meet. Dr. Mower died a practicing physician
at Little Valley, Cattaraugus county, in 1895, aged 70 years, leaving no
descendants. He was buried at East Schuyler in the Miller rural cemetery
beside his first wife and their infant son.
Simon, the youngest son of Conradt Mower, was a student at Whitestown
and taught school one winter. He was a skilled workman, doing some of
the finest carpenter work. He married Elizabeth Converse, her mother
born Robbins, was a sister of Mrs. Giles Robbins. They rented farms here
and in Dutchtown. They built a home on land they bought on the State
Road. They had four children Clayton, Mary, Emma and Charles. Clayton
Mower, married Marietta Worden, they live on the homestead; eleven
children were born to them, Burt, Ruth, Lester, James, May, Wealthy [dead],
Maude, Gertrude, Glenn and the twins, Iva and Inez, born Nov. 2, 1901. Mary
married Clifton Parkhurst, they have been on, "Windwood" farm for twenty years;
their oldest son, Wilbur married Laura Brewer; their son Willard is in school.
Elma Mower was student and became a successful school teacher; she spent a few
years in Iowa. Her husband, Fred Brown, of Bell Hill, is a farmer. They have two sons,
Charley and Earl. Charles Mower, the youngest son of Simon Mower, was an expert
cheese and butter maker. He married Wealthy Mickle who had laid up some
money and owned a house and lot. They went to Quigley, Iowa, were in some
co-operative creamery for a number of year and he had the oversight to other creameries.
They thought to return to York state and buy them a farm, when he was stricken with pneunonia
and died. It was a sad Homecoming for the wife and two little children, Delight and Charlie.
He died on his fortieth birthday. In February, 1901, and was buried with his kindred in
the Miller cemetery in East Schuyler. Mrs. Mower has bought a home for herself and children
in Deck, where a brother resides.
The daughters of Conradt and Mary Klock Mower were cheesemakers, they understood all kinds
of housework, were careful and trusty, and any family was considered fortunate to have them
inmates of their household. Elizabeth, the eldest daughter, married Hiram Smith, a farmer of
North Schuyler; their child were Arvillia [Worden], Daniel, Westle, Ardelia [Miller], and
Frank and Fred twins; the mother died when they were two weeks old, Frank died young.
The oldest daughter, Arvilla died a few years after her marriage; Postal Clerk E. Erwyn
Worden of Frankfort, is her son. Daniel Smith married a school teacher, he is a carpenter,
their home is in New York Mills; their daughter, Venia Smith, was born in East Schuyler,
graduated form the Oswego normal school and is the wife of Prof. Bruce Ingersol of Manila,
P.A., where they are teachers. Prof and Mrs. Ingersoll were formerly teachers in Claffin
University, he was at the head of the scientific department and Mrs. Ingersoll had charge
of the musical department where she trained juvenile singers. They resigned their positions
at Claffin University to go to the Philippines.
Catharine, the third daughter of Conradt Mower was the second wife of
Hiram Smith of North Schuyler. They had two sons, she survives Mr. Smith
and lives with her son Howard, a hardware merchant of Frankfort, Milford
is a farmer of East Schuyler.
Mary, the second daughter, married Chas. Suydam of Pulaski, a farmer and
butter and cheese dealer. She is living aged 81 years, in Pulaski with
her daughter Frances, a school teacher, and son Charles both unmarried.
Her oldest son, Bert, married Mamie Kane of West Schuyler, in 1875, Rev.
F.K. Pierce officiating. He died a few years ago in Fulton, leaving a number of children.